SCADA develpment - "High Performance HMI Handbook"

Paullys50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone else read the book "The High Performance HMI Handbook"? I have, I think it is a great book and I hope to morph our SCADA standard to follow more of these concepts as time goes by. (you can get an electronic version off of Barnes and Noble for the Nook).

I'm just getting a kick out of watching the SCADA software companies jumping on the bandwagon, this seems to have become the "bible" of sorts in-terms of SCADA design. I've seen a number of white papers on this topic now published by Rockwell, ABB, Wonderware....all which reference this book, many times duplicating text and figures and I don't see much credit to the original authors. Hopefully the authors are getting some sort of kickback for them doing so.

Our WW rep was in about a month ago to tout their "Situational Awareness" concepts, again not ever directly referencing this book or giving credit to it, as if it was WW's own concept. I think it's a great direction to go, just far from the fancy Archestra graphics they have been pushing for years.

I find it amusing to watch the SCADA companies jump on this. Don't get me wrong, it's great for the industry, I'm just amused. :D

ASM Consortium findings and methodologies is similar and also has valuable info on this topic. We use these concepts exclusively in our organisation.

All i would add is that Alarm Rationalization is very important when using these methodologies. I have seen many applications that do not have the benefits because there are alarms that should be events firing up group displays and misguiding the operator to an event that does not stop his plant or affect his production.

Other than that your operators need to get use to the way they run the plant. I believe this book makes a lot of sense and agree with most points in it.

We requested these symbols through a wonderware support program and i know for a fact that it was based on both the Advanced HMI and the ASM Consortium findings. The first release is in 2014 and i saw a demo in Singapore about 8 months ago. Over this time we developed our own symbols but i do think they have done a good job with the situational awareness library.

ASM stands for Abnormal Situation Management. All the same thing i think.

Last edited: