How to convert a FactoryTalk activation type?

doanster

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum! :D

Question: right now I have FT View Studio ME and RSLogix 5000 Pro activations tied to a USB dongle (i.e. mobile activation). How do I convert this to a node-locked activation and do away with the USB dongle completely?

The issue is that we have two computers that we use this software on. However, they are in two different locations and, as you can imagine, it becomes a pain to bring the USB dongle back and forth. Thus, it would be easier to have the activations node-locked and just rehost as required.

Is this even possible? Suggestions?

You can use Activation Manager to rehost activations. Go to the "Manage Activations" tab, and select Rehost.

Truth be told though, I find the dongle easier, but if both machines are on the same network, you can (shudder) add another computer to act as an activation server, rehost to that machine, and then the other two can borrow as needed.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

I have just posted some very pertinent info here today...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=92127

Unfortunately, you can only Rehost a serial number 3 times in any given 12-month period. It is only meant to be used when you change your computer, or the like, and not for every other day use. Besides, it is a small bit of a hassle to have to keep doing, either way.

The most simplest method for more than one user computer for the same serial number is the USB Dongle.

However, that is obviously no use when you are Worlds apart. Are you Worlds apart? Cities apart? Floors apart? Or just in another room?

Another possibility is akin to rdrast's suggestion...

If the two computer's are on a LAN, WAN, or can connect through a VPN, you can use the Concurrent FactoryTalk Activation method. This allows you to store your activations locally on a licensing server and manage the individual licenses amongst a set of client computers. You can only use Concurrent licences, not Node-Locked, as these are of course tied to the local computer.

Failing that, your only other option is to use separate Activations, which, of course, means two copies of the software.

Regards,
George

Thanks for the info. Being able to rehost an activation only 3 times a year is definitely a dealbreaker.

The two computers are not quite two worlds apart, but they are two countries apart! The remote computer can indeed be accessed through a VPN, so I will try setting up an activation server.

rdrast mentioned add "another computer" to act as an activation server. Does this mean that I cannot use the activation server also as a machine for programming my PLCs?

doanster said:
...rdrast mentioned add "another computer" to act as an activation server...

Oh, I hadn't noticed that comment...

No. You don't need a third computer for a Server. Any computer that has FactoryTalk Activation Manager installed can host the licence files and the hardware Host ID. FTAM will be already installed on any computer that has FactoryTalk Activated software, such as your programming machines.

So, you can have one of the two programming computers also acting as the FTAM Server, with your concurrent licence file, and the other computer "remotes" in to borrow the licence.

Regards,
George

After being on the phone with for 3 hours with a TechConnect agent, I finally have it configured properly. Thanks for all the help! :geek:

Strange new issue: once I shut down Logix Designer on one computer, the floating activation is not "released" - it still shows it as being in used by that computer (in FT Activation Manager, the "In Use" column still reads '1'.

Therefore, when I try to launch Logix Designer on a second computer, activation fails.

What could be causing this? Is there a way to force the release of a floating license??

Strange new issue: once I shut down Logix Designer on one computer, the floating activation is not "released" - it still shows it as being in used by that computer (in FT Activation Manager, the "In Use" column still reads '1'.

Therefore, when I try to launch Logix Designer on a second computer, activation fails.

What could be causing this? Is there a way to force the release of a floating license??

My 2c - it has been a long-standing issue that RS5000.exe still remains as an active windows process after it has been shutdown normally, i'm surprised people aren't hopping up and down on this issue globally....

Anyway it might be that that is preventing the borrowed license becoming available for use elsewhere....

Are both computers using the same version of FTAManager?

G.

They are not the same versions. The computer acting as the server is version 3.62.01, and the computers "checking out" the licenses are using 3.60.00 (which were included as part of the original Rockwell software install).

For the most part, the setup works well via VPN'ing between the different computers, except for this issue that occasionally happens. If I were to upgrade to the latest version of FT Activation Manager for the machines running the old version, is there a risk of something "breaking"? I am always wary when it comes to changing/upgrading Rockwell software...