l can not get communication with micrologix 1000 plc.

Saudi jamal

Dear Friends,
I am new in plc learning. I have Micrologix 1000 one plc and I have USB to serial port cable. Cable number is micrologix 1761 but I don't have communication driver software. Please anybody can help me.
Kind regards.
Jamal.

Welcome to the Forum!

The Communications to Allen Bradley PLCs is normally handled by RSLinx.

The Drivers for the USB to Serial Interface Drivers should have come with it.

I don't believe the Cable Number you Posted is correct..

Stu....

Dear friends,
I am watching this video and I am trying to learn.my cable part numbers is 1761 cbl pm02.I am using windows 7.kindly let me know where to download driver software to get communication to Micrologix through rslinx.
Kindly guide me please.
Regards.
Jamal.

Thanks for those who helping me. I am using rslinx classic lite and rslinx micro starter lite software. My plc model is Micrologix 1000.1761-L10BWA. Series e. FRN 1.0. Cable is 1761-cbl-pm02. When I select auto configure that time message coming coming unable to open the specified com port for configuration testing. I don't understand why this message coming.
Kindly help me please.
Kind regards.
Jamal.

Make sure that the Com Port you are selecting in RSLinx is the one that your USB to Serial Converter setup on. It will usually set up on Com 3 and up, but is somewhat random. If you are unsure which Com Port the USB to Serial Adapter is on, try looking in the Windows 7 Device Manager.

Stu....

After you follow Stu's advice to correctly identify which port is assigned to your USB to serial converter, be aware that Autoconfigure does not work with all varieties of converters.

You may need to set up the DF1 driver manually and try each baud rate until you are able to see the ML1000 in RSWho. The most common baud rates are 19.2k and 9600 in my experience. A long time ago, I think the default was as low as 2400 but that may have been a different model. I have slept since then.

Thanks for your reply. Fixed USB cable between plc and windows 7 and I checked device manager but I don't see the com port numbers found.
Manually I keep com1,com2,com3,com4 and buds rate 9600and 19200 but I observed configure drivers status showing running and also browsing node 1not found.
Please guide me.
Regards.
Jamal.

OkiePC said:
You may need to set up the DF1 driver manually and try each baud rate until you are able to see the ML1000 in RSWho. The most common baud rates are 19.2k and 9600 in my experience. A long time ago, I think the default was as low as 2400 but that may have been a different model. I have slept since then.

Lower again Paul,

For the DF1 Full Duplex Protocol...

MicroLogix 1000 Series A, B & C have a default baud rate of 1200.
MicroLogix 1000 Series D or later have a default baud rate of 9600.

Saudi jamal,

For this MicroLogix 1000 Series E the default DF1 settings are...

9600 baud
Node Address 1
No Parity
1 Stop Bit
CRC Error Detection

Once the correct and available COM port is selected, and the above is set for the DF1 driver, it should connect, if the port is set to DF1 defaults. It could potentially be set for any of the following baud rates...

300, 600, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400

And as Autoconfigure is unreliable with many USB-Serial adapters, you may have to go through them to find the right one. But, yes, 9600 and 19200 are the most commonly used,.

Another consideration - If this is a second hand unit and this is a first attempt to connect to it, then there is a possibility that the port was last configured for DH-485. The MicroLogix Series D or later have Automatic Protocol Switching and should switch from DH-485 to DF1, once a valid DF1 connection has been established. This information is provided just in case you get Online and see DH-485 configured for the port and think..."What the heck?".

But that "correct and available COM port" seems to be your issue here, at the moment?

Saudi jamal said:
...I checked device manager but I don't see the com port numbers found.
Manually I keep com1,com2,com3,com4 and buds rate 9600and 19200 but I observed configure drivers status showing running and also browsing node 1not found.

In Device Manager, under Ports, you should see your USB-Serial device listed with its assigned COM port number in brackets. Eg: (COM8). If you don't, the the driver for the adapter is not, or was not successfully installed. If you do see this number, then that is the COM port number you select in RSLinx for the DF1 driver.

If the DF1 driver is only allowing you select up to COM 4, then that is the highest number assigned to any device at the moment. If your adapter is installed correctly, it should be assigned one of these numbers.

But, USB devices are usually always automatically assigned COM port numbers higher than COM 4? So this does make me suspect that the adapters driver is not installed correctly?

It could be using any of COM 1-4, but that would usually mean it was manually changed away from its higher installed COM port number.

See if it's showing up under Ports first. You need the adapter working correctly in Windows first before using with RSLinx.

Regards,
George

If you have a problem with the com port #, go to Device Manager, double click on the com port to bring up Properties. Click on the (Hardware or Ports) tab [on a Win8.1 computer with no built in ports now so going by memory] click on the Advanced Button & you will be able to change the com port from 1 to 256 - it may show a message that that com port # is already used (my UIC & USB/serial both are com3 but never connected at the same time) so click OK, OK, OK. Then Device Manager should refresh & show you the com port # you just selected. Then go to RSLinx & use the new com port #.

Saudi jamal said:
...I observed configure drivers status showing running and also browsing node 1not found...

Sorry, I forgot to comment on this.

Just because the driver is showing as running does not necessarily mean that it is using the correct COM port number for your adapter. It just means that RSLinx successfully took control of which ever COM port number you assigned to the driver. This may or may not be the correct COM port number that is assigned to the adapter. Again, if it is even installed correctly. You need to verify/correct this first.

Furthermore - If you do find the adapter is installed correctly, or you get it installed correctly, and you do find its assigned COM port number to be any of COM 1-4 (it should not be after initial install), AND it will still not connect trying the different baud rates; then it is highly advisable to change the adapter's COM port number to an unused number above 4, using Aabeck's good advice. Windows tends to share COM port resources between 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 respectively. Depending on a user's devices setup, this sharing aspect may cause conflicts.

Unless another software driver specifically requires them, I would always advise users to set devices like USB to Serial adapters and 1747-UIC converters to unused COM port numbers higher than 4 when using RSLinx drivers. I am not saying they will not work. But doing this eliminates the potential for conflict issues.

It's all these niggly little things that usually cause us bumps along the way when trying to establish communications. Knowing these little tricks is what helps smooth the ride.

Regards,
George

Hi guys,
Thanks those who helping me. Up to now o was not avail to get communication between
Plc and PC via rslinx. I buy new cable and installed driver soft ware. Before I couldn't see
Com port no.but today I see com port numbers. Like com10. Baud rate 9600,device :slc-cho/
Micro/panel view. Station no. 00, Parity:none, Error checking :bcc,Stops bits: 1, Protocol :
Full Duplex. Auto configure:TESTING MODE:BCC.
Now my question why auto configuration not successful and it is continue showing
Testing mode:Bcc.
Kindly guide me how to get auto configure successful.
Regards.
Jamal.

Auto configure is likely not to work with a USB to serial converter. It works best with a physical serial port. The default port setting for DF1 on a MicroLogix 1000 is full duplex at 19.2kbaud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity and CRC error checking. Try setting the comm port to that and see if you can connect. Keep in mind that the port on a MicroLogix 1000 will work as a DF1 port and a DH485 port. DH485 will not work on a USB to serial adaptor. The port is supposed to auto switch depending on what it sees so if it is configured for DH485 and it sees DF1 it should switch but I’ve seen some that won’t.