1756 enbt

I didnt look at the tech note because we dont currently have tech connect agreement.. so when I logged in it was not available.

OK, I think we are getting a bit confused here...

Forget the 192... range devices here for a moment.

You are browsing in to this chassis via a 1756-EN2T in slot 1 at 192.168.1.1.

Is this the Enterprise Network point of connection to this chassis?

The 1756-ENBT in Slot 3 at 10.5.55.100 is in the same chassis and so therefore is already transparent to the 1756-EN2T.

You say (I think) that you want to browse out through the 1756-ENBT at 10.5.55.100 to "other" devices connected to it.

These "other" devices will also have IP addresses in the same Subnet as the ENBT module i.e. 10.5....

To configure remote browsing, from your workstation computer currently browsing in through the EN2T module at 192.168.1.1, you must assign the aforementioned IP addresses of the devices you know to be connected to the ENBT module.

You do this by adding the 10.5... addressed devices, that you must already know of, to the "Expected EtherNet/IP Addresses" list under the ENBT module's "Configure Browse" settings.

You do not need to add the IP address (10.5.55.100) of the ENBT module itself to this list because, and as I have already mentioned, this module is already transparent to the EN2T module in the same chassis, across the same backplane.

Regards,
George

ok... What we have is a 17 slot chassis that has 2 1756-ENBT cards. One card has 192.168.2.1 as its IP Address because it is talking to another chassis. It works fine. The single 1756-EN2T has an IP Address of 192.168.1.1 so that it talks to all the devices connected to it( drives, HMIs, etc). The other card which currently has an IP Address of 10.5.55.100 is the one I am trying to connect to from OUTSIDE of the plc on my enterprise network. My enterprise network is 10.5.55.x and we are wanting to retrieve information from the individual machine centers, like this one, and store the information we get onto a SQL back end. I understand how to get the card to talk to the other devices connected in the chassis. I am trying to get the single module to talk outside of the plc world to my enterprise network...

Sorry for the delay, I had started replying you right away but a pesky palletiser was calling me...

I had actually written a paragraph at the end of my last post, but then decided to delete it and keep it simple. It basically said how I reckoned you will now probably come back and tell us that the Enterprise Network is actually accessing this chassis in through the 10.5.55.100 ENBT and not the other way around. I was right.

All of your screenshots and attempted configurations point us in the direction of you trying to configure remote browsing out through the "Automation_Network" ENBT. Not the other way around.

If you place your workstation's IP address on the 10.5... Subnet, and not the 192.168... Subnet, and browse in to the chassis through the ENBT, then you are looking in from the correct direction for what you are trying to achieve here.

But from anywhere, while looking at the chassis, you should be able to configure any of the communications modules for what you need.

It is the "Configure Browse" settings for the EN2T module that you need to configure here, and so yes, it is the 192.168... devices that need to be added to the "Expected Ethernet/IP Addresses" list. When you look to the "Configure Browse" tab for the EN2T module it should be the 192.168.1... Subnet you will see in the "Available IP Addresses" list on the left.

Add all of the node addresses for the devices connected to the EN2T (drives, HMIs, etc.) that you wish to remotely browse. Again, you do not need to add the 192.168.1.1 node address of the EN2T itself because is is transparent to the backplane i.e. to the 10.5.55.100 ENBT module.

In fact, without having added its own node address to the list; when you browse to the Ethernet port of this module, and all visible devices from the list are displayed, there will also be an instance of the module itself displayed under its own Ethernet port.

That will configure the EN2T for remote browsing from compatible browsers. So that begs the next question...

Prayder said:
...I am trying to get the single module to talk outside of the plc world to my enterprise network...

...What are you using to mine data out of these "machine centers" into SQL?

Prayder said:
...you are saying that I need to add the 192 IP Addresses...then I will be able to "see" the 10.5.55.100 on my enterprise network?

The 10.5.55.100 ENBT module should be directly exposed to any other node within the same Subnet. For instance, if your "Enterprise Network" is represented here by a Server computer, and its node address is 10.5.55.101, then it should be able to "see" at least the ENBT at 10.5.55.100 without any further configuration of the chassis modules.

If you currently cannot "see", as in at least PING 10.5.55.100 from your Enterprise Network, then there is some other networking issue here that also needs to be addressed.

If you can indeed PING 10.5.55.100, but just cannot "see" anything beyond it, then yes, it may just be the "Configure Browse" settings that will sort all of this out for you.

Because we still do not know what you are using software-wise on the Enterprise Network, it is hard to say whether any of the above will be of use to you, or not.

Regards,
George

We will be using Indusoft to retrieve data from the controller in the chassis through the 1756-ENBT. So as of right now, I am unable to ping the 10.5.55.100 ENBT from my workstation that is on the same network(subnet). After reading the manual for the ENBT module numerous, and I mean numerous, times I am still unable to ping it. From everything I have read.. my settings seem to be correct. My DHCP server is set to acept DHCP and BOOTP protocols. The IP Address of 10.5.55.100 shows across the screen of the module, I can drill down to it in RSLinx and see it while online with the chassis... This is the point I am at.

This might not be very helpful, but you might consider trying the following.

Can you post a screenshot of your connection with RSLinx Classic?

Try simplifying your system to just the 1756-L72 and 1756-ENBT module. Sometimes simpler is better.

Check your company's firewall settings. My company has weird rules that no one understands so we had to create a separate network for PLCs.

Prayder said:
...I am unable to ping the 10.5.55.100 ENBT from my workstation that is on the same network(subnet)...

OK, so there is actually a separate networking issue here between the Enterprise Network and the ENBT module that needs to be addressed before going any further.

What IP address is the workstation using?

What Subnet Mask is the workstation and the ENBT using?

How are the two interconnected while attempting a PING?

Are they directly connected or via a managed switch or switches?

What is acting as the DHCP Server i.e. workstation, switch, etc.?

The more we know about what is physically and/or logically separating the two the better we can diagnose this issue.

I also notice, from your screenshot of the ENBT Port Configuration, that you have "Auto-negotiate port speed and duplex" disabled and have set Port Speed to "100" and Duplex to "Full duplex". Do you know this to be correct for the port at the other end connected to the ENBT, whether your workstation or a switch?

Regards,
George

my current IP Address of my workstation is 10.5.48.151. This DHCP server that the module is connecting through has a VLAN setup on the port the module is connected to so that the device would pull a 10.5.55.x IP Address. The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. My workstation and this module are connected through a managed Cisco 2960 switch. This switch is one of many through our network.. I currently have a Red Lion PTV connected with a 10.5.55.23 IP address in another part of the plant and I use this same workstation to connect to it. I am not sure about the "100" and "full duplex" issue at the switch end.. I will have to find out... I did notice that when I had set the IP Address statically through RSLinx, the lights on the front showed connected along with the alternating display of "OK" and "10.5.55.100". I have included some additional pics since I was asked my ziggyspringer to show rslinx connection

0504161046a-min.jpg 0504161053a-min.jpg 0504161053a-min-1.jpg

Workstation: 10.5.48.151
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 <<< Of the workstation, or of the ENBT ?
ENBT Module: 10.5.55.100

This is a basic IP subnetting problem.

A subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 will not allow a device at 10.5.48.151 to communicate with a device at 10.5.55.151 because the subnet mask puts them on different subnets.

If the subnet mask was 255.255.0.0 (on both !) then they would be able to connect because only the first two octets would define the network.

Most 10.x.x.x networks are meant to have only the first octet define the network numer and the last three define the hosts. That's called a "Class A" subnet.

The subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 is on both the workstation and the ENBT.. so they should be able to talk. As I mentioned before I have other devices(Red Lions) connected on this VLAN through other switches and they work ok...

The subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 is on both the workstation and the ENBT.. so they should be able to talk. As I mentioned before I have other devices(Red Lions) connected on this VLAN through other switches and they work ok...

A subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 means that the first three octets (10.5.48.xxx and 10.5.55.xxx in your case) must match. 48 and 55 do not match, so the two devices won't be able to communicate to each other.

You must open your subnet mask up to allow the two to communicate, or change the IP Addresses so that the first three octets match.

The VLAN is the wildcard here; it might be routing devices together that could not otherwise communicate over an ordinary IP network.

Or, the devices managing the VLAN might be blocking services like PING or the RSLinx Classic drivers.

Workstation: 10.5.48.151
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

ENBT Module: 10.5.55.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Those two devices are on different IP subnets.

The Workstation is on the 10.5.48.x network, and the ENBT module is on the 10.5.55.x network.

Subnet mask is just for the local network, or a network it tells the router what octets to look at. You need to make sure that the device is using the correct subnet mask and default gateway.

10.5.55.100 255.255.255.0 GW-10.5.55.1

Gateway points to the routers interface so it knows how to route between two subnets. My subnet is 10.5.48.X 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is 10.5.48.1 which points to the router. If 10.5.55.100 needs to talk to subnet 10.5.48.X it goes to the router and says hey I need 10.5.48.X it says oh yeah its connected on interface G0/0.48 go here.

Now we know there's a router.

Up until now you had been insisting that your devices were on the same network, and by definition they aren't on the same network if there's a router between them. Your mention of a VLAN was confusing but at least let us know that your enterprise network is complex.

Have you tried any of the connectivity tests other than PING and RSLinx ? Some routers will block both PING and the RSLinx "EtherNet/IP" browsing driver.

I would start by seeing if you can bring up the 1756-ENBT built in web page with a web browser, and I would try using TCPing on TCP Port 44818.