A very general question about controllogix motion control setup

unsaint32

I am studying AB 1756 MO2AE module's manual. The manual says that the module connects to a servo drive. This doesn't make sense to me. I thought in order to make a closed loop motion control, I have to have either Mo2AE module or a drive with feedback, but not both.

At my work, MO2AE modules are not used when servo drives (Kinetix 300) are used, which makes sense to me. If the servo drives provide module-defined data for closed-loop motion control (through ethernet), why is the MO2AE module needed?

However, we do use MO2AE module to control proportional valve's solenoid driver, in which case we do not use any servo drive.

I think the use of the word "servo drive" is the confusing part.

The "AE" on the 1756-M02AE means "Analog and Encoder".

The 1756-M02AE is used with devices that I'd consider to be "servo amplifiers". They take a 0-10 V signal and run a servomotor at a speed proportional to the voltage signal. The encoder from the servomotor connects to the 1756-M02AE and the 1756-M02AE closes the velocity and/or position loop itself.

Many other "servo drives" are instead "servo controllers" where they accept the encoder input and perform position control themselves. Examples in the RA world include the Kinetix 300 and 350 single-axis servo controllers or the Kinetix 2000 and 6000 systems.

That clarifies a lot. That is why we don't use Kinetix300 with Servo module, and uses servo module for proportional control valve driver. Thanks Ken.