AB RIO Scanner comms w/ DCM - Am I making this harder than it is?

strantor

I've got an existing installation of a SLC5/04 with a 1747-SN RIO scanner; the scanner is communicating with a lot of devices; not sure what all or how many. The device I'm concerned with is another SLC5/04 with a 1747-DCM. They do successfully pass info to each other but I have reason to believe that some of the addressing is flubbed because not all the bits that are supposed to be communicated are being communicated.

So I'm trying to figure out what the addresses are supposed to be, and what they actually are. There's where the problem starts. A bunch of bits are pumped into a blue hose that enters a cloud of question marks and then emerges into another device with the bits all re/mis/arranged and they mostly aren't annotated, and those that are, are annotated anti-informatively (anti-informatively < uninformatively). I've figured out (I think) what a handful of them are on both ends by deciphering bad comments and correlating some bits being high at roughly the same time, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the addressing scheme.

So I go RTFM and get all confounded by changing from decimal to octal (and back (or not?)) and the oft repeated mantra of the DCM manual "The I/O group address does not need to match the word address of the SLC I/O instruction"... but does that only apply to the PLC-5/PLC-2/PLC-3/etc? This DCM manual is very insistent on injecting the "PLC" (assumed PLC-X) into every single example (or by "PLC" do they really just literally mean any PLC?). I'm not using any of those older things; I'm going SLC to SLC (cutting edge, right?).

What I've read so far has just confused me more; I've almost decided that short of taking the whole line down and forcing one bit at a time and seeing what goes high on what device on the multiple "other side"(s) of the cloud, there is no way of knowing what goes where. But this can't be correct, can it? There must be an obvious simple solution that I'm too dense to figure out, so please, enlighten me. How can I figure out where these bits are going?

It would be advantageous if I could go online with both SLCs at the same, but both need a U2DHP and who has two of those? I think I'm going to tell 'em "tough titty" and yank the HMI on one so I can get at the RS232 port and hook that up to my serial>IP converter>wireless router so I can be online with both.
...or is there a way to go online with the the other unit over RIO? If there is, I couldn't figure out how to do that either

The DCM addressing should be something that you can sort out based on slot numbers and by reading the logic in all the affected processors.

I dealt with a PLC5 and DCM in four SLCs and to get about 20 words back and forth to all of them, the first few bits available were used to multiplex the other whole words to different locations on each end. So, you might run into logic like this, or something totally different, which could clarify your confusion once you break it down.