Allen Bradley Panelview 550

Thanks for all the help I got lucky someone gave me the six disk set for my panelview so I loaded the softeware and I am using a usb to rs232 converter cable connection and I still can't connect to the PV. The panel view 550 is model number 2711-t5a1l1. Can it be the the USB/RS232 automation direct
EA-MG-PGM-CBL converter be the problem it works on eveything else I use it on or am I forgetting something.
Thanks
Rudy

Your PV supports RIO protocol on it's comm port. It also supports DF1 protocol on it's AUX/ printer port for upload/download. You can use the Aux port as long as it has not been configured for printer use.

The most recommended USB to serial adapter is the Keyspan USA-19HS see link.

You will also need a straight thru cable connected between the USB to serial adapter and the PV.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=Keyspan USA-19HS

Another method to upload/download the PV's program is to use a memory card. See PDF below

Sense this is a RIO PV what do you plan on connecting it to?

Last edited:
"Six disk set" ? PanelBuilder32 (and for that matter, any Rockwell software) hasn't come on diskettes for more than ten years. It's entirely possible that your PanelView terminal firmware is not supported by this old software.

PanelView Standard terminals have a "DCE" style serial port. This is pinned with the Rx and Tx terminals opposite of a standard computer "DTE" port, so you need a straight-through serial cable to connect to the PanelView.

Most of the time, you use the RSLinx Classic communication drivers to connect to a PanelView, rather than the old direct drivers that were part of the PanelView Transfer Utility in the 1990's. Those direct drivers may not work with USB communication converters.