Allen Bradley SLC503 Communications

rick2517

I have an Allen Bradley SLC503 processor. I want to set up communication to it from the COMM port of my desktop computer. I don't have any cables yet. I will have to purchase the proper cable. The SLC503 processor has a RS-232 port and a DS485 port. Which port would be the preferred port to use for my purpose. Thanks

1747-CP3 will connect PC with serial port to 5/03

Also you can use any null modem cable or make your own:
2-3, 3-2, 5-5
RS232 CH0 is the port you want
DH485 will require 1747-PIC or 1747-UIC

If all you want to purchase is a cable then use the RS232 serial port. Additional hardware (and additional expense) will be requried to communicate via the DH485 port. Any standard RS-232 modem cable (not extension cable) will work. The pinout of such a cable for DB-9 connectors is

2<---->3
3<---->2
5<---->5

You can make your own if you want to.

You will also require RSLinx software to communicate with it.
If you want to program the SLC5/03 you will also need RSLogix-500.
Any application that communicates with the PLC must either "speak" DF-1 protocol or use the RSLinx DDE or OPC drivers.

If you want to network to two or more PLCs you will have to use the DH-485 port and will need the extra hardware - since I dont think that is what you are asking, I won't go there.

The A-B cable you would need to use is a 1747-CP3 (A-B list price $72.00). Or you can also use a standard RS-232 serial cable and null-modem (and possibly a gender changer) from a local source like Radio Shack.

You would use the RS-232 (9-Pin, D-Sub) port on the SLC-503, But you do need RSLinx/(lite) for a driver and RSLogix500 for programming/viewing purposes.

If your computer is new and doesn't have a built-in serial port you may also need a USB-Serial adapter (the one at Radio Shack that I purchased seems to work for everything I have except for the 1747-PIC).

If you want to go thru the DH-485 port you will need the above-mentioned PIC or a 1747-PCMK card and cable. But these last two options can get quite pricey and the PIC requires a built in RS-232 port on your computer.

booten said:
If your computer is new and doesn't have a built-in serial port you may also need a USB-Serial adapter (the one at Radio Shack that I purchased seems to work for everything I have except for the 1747-PIC).

If you want to go thru the DH-485 port you will need the above-mentioned PIC or a 1747-PCMK card and cable. But these last two options can get quite pricey and the PIC requires a built in RS-232 port on your computer.

The PIC is not compatible with USB-serial adaptors.
The PIC adhered rigidly to IEEE standards for RS-232, something that computers have not as voltages have dropped for laptops and cooler running CPUs.

You can get the 1747-UIC which is a PIC replacer - a USB to DH485 converter. IIRC, It costs about $300.

When using a USB-serial adaptor on a laptop I recommend you open Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Buss Controllers -> Right click on each of the root hubs -> properties -> Power Management -> Uncheck "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" Because if your computer turns it off you will have difficulty re-establishing communications.

Thanks very much for your answer regarding communicating with my SLC503 processor. I am using the port you suggested and a 1747CP3 cable. I am purchasing RS Logix for my programming. Am I correct in understanding that I will need to have RS Linx(lite) also? If so, I have available RS Linx software which is several years old. Would it be possible for me to use this or would I need to purchase an updated version of RS Linx?
Thanks so much for your help. RICK ( [email protected] )

RSLinx Lite is free. It will come with RSLogix 500 or you can download latest version from AB.com

hi booten

can u provide me the details about the allen bradley based plc system.

i am new to this and i want ot learn the AB plc and rs logix 5000.

bye
swathik.

What Is Diffrenent Between Dh 485 Rs484

Dear sir,

I have RS232 converter to RS485, is it possible to use for communication to SLC500/1? what is different beetwen RS485 and DH485. Thank your for your help
regard
definal

Yuo need the 1747-UIC cable to use the 500/1 DH+ channel standard rs 485 converters do not handle DH+ handshaking correctly. The main differents between RS 485 and DH+ is the type of handshaking and protocals

Slc500/01 Communication

Thank you for your information. Mr Modred,i have read on the manual SLC500/01 That communication just "received only" i'm just thinking this porcessor can not handle DDE using such as MS Excel or another software.If this information is true so i can not use the processor and replace by slc500/03 minimum and very expensive for me.
thank you