Am I doing this correctly? Please help!!

darrenj said:
Well that depends on what we are talking about!! In the OP's description there is no mention of holding or releasing so do what you want..In real life it would depend on the application..

and before i get bashed please remember the term index.. I know i said it was basically the same as run..

Take a paper shear for example..The operator lines it up and has the blade millimeters above the slice point..He sets the paper the pushes both buttons..(Anti tie down..to make sure he doesn't loose any digits)..His hands are slightly faster than the machine..he pushes the machine "INDEXES 1 Time!!!!" you get one slice then the machine holds for the next 2 handed push.. This is different from a machine that starts and doesn't stop until something tells it to..an indexing machine usually runs for one cycle and thats it ..no matter if the operator is chatting to bubba and forgot to take his hands off the buttons..

Now as terry likes to point out..we look at the description that is given to us not what we think..so as per the description the machine "Indexes" if all conditions are met within a time period..there is no mention of stopping so we don't worry about that..Who knows..maybee stopping the machine is the next assignment and we are doing this guys homework even thinking about it??

Stopping the machine is not mentioned in the source material, therefore, it was not part of my print. I actually did solve the problem after reading a few of the posts and I was able to realize where I went wrong. I sat back and gave it further thought and was able to come up with the appropriate solution. Rest assured, stopping the machine is not the next part! I appreciate all the input and advice given. It is most definitely helping me see these things in other ways, and I am most thankful for that.

Siemen_Staines said:
I dont know about similtaneosly, but you are showing that you have to hold 2 hand for 5 sec, and 2 foot for 5 sec, then it will operate, but you have latched the output so it will never stop.

Correct..however where in the specs does it say it has to stop??..Dont get me wrong the sample code is wrong (For a reasl life example) However he is on the right track.. Most people would not have picked up on the anti tie down..With out that the circuit could just as easily read

----"input 1"---"input 2"----"input 3"----"input 4"----(output 1)

the above sample would only be half correct becouse they were told that after all four conditions were ment the machine would index..as i said above i think that means it would run for one cycle..so a holding circuit would have to be put in with a release after one one cycle..

Glad to see you solved it...would you post your code for critique??

As i have said in my previous post..its not what we think should happen its what you were asked to happen..as you said stopping the machine was not asked..Hopefully you recognise that this would need to happen!!!!

If it were me doing the above problem i would do it two ways..one to satisfy the instructor..and one to satisfy myself..the myself way would be the correct way..to stop the machine when necessary..

Keep at it and glad to hear you got it..

d