Average value calculation

I remember a program for a S5 100u where the positions for a turbo compressors variable inlet and outlet guide vanes where calculated from a 3d data map stored in a datablock by interpolation.

It was using the heron method to calculate the square root. But with floating point numbers done in software, retriggering the cycle so that the S5 doesn't got in stop mode during calculation - which took about 5 seconds...

The problem I used to face was calculating the stopping diameter for an unwind stand so that it would stop at a specified diameter regardless of machine speed. The stop distance in M can be converted to an area when multiplied by thickness. The area of material is then summed with the area of the stop diameter and the total area converted back to a diameter at which the machine must start to ramp down. To do this calculation the fly requires a square root function: D= SQRT(4A/Pi).

I vaguely remember having look up tables but they needed to be re-calculated every time core size or material thickness changed. A former colleague did write a routine using successive approximation but I'm not sure how successful it was. Later machines sent the calculation to a PC that returned the result.

Nick