"brick"

nursiejennie

Can anyone advise me on the term "brick"??

I know it means the same as unitary, but what does this mean!!

And can i have some sensible answers please?!?!

Regards

Last edited:
The terms 'brick' and 'shoebox' are used just to relate to a known object of a similar size to the referenced 'unitary' PLC. Beyond that there is no similarity implied.

(OK - so they would both have mass and occupy volumn and they might be a similar color (depending on the brick or shoebox you may be thinking of) - but nothing else) ---

(OK - a brick might have some holes in it and the PLC might also but beyond that there is nothing implied) ---

(OK - a brick, if you just had it in an oven might be warm - or even a shoebox for that matter as long as it wasn't too hot, in which case it would just be a pile of ashes - and so might a PLC if has power and is turned on - but beyond that, nothing is implied.)

(OK - a brick, if it had Christmas lights wrapped around it - or even a shoebox for that matter, would have little (depending on the size of the bulbs I guess) glowing spots of light (assuming the Christmas lights are turned on) and so would the PLC if it was on - but nothing else is implied)

If a brick is expandable, does that make it modular? If so, then there must be unitary bricks and modular bricks. If 'unitary' and 'brick' are synonomous, then does the existence of modular bricks imply the existence of unitary modular PLCs?

"Brick" is used for pretty much any device that is shaped like a brick.

I've heard it used for non-modular (expandable or not) PLC's as well as certain power component cases (brick SCRs or brick IGBTs, for instance).

It's jargon that means "box shaped object" and nothing more out of context.

And that's my opinion.

Rube said:
Brick is what you might consider learning how to lay if that question was REALLY too difficult to answer on your own.

Now that's funny - I don't care who you are!

And by the way, did you ever wonder why the original concrete blocks weren't dimensioned to match the height of an even number of courses of bricks?

Tom Jenkins said:
And by the way, did you ever wonder why the original concrete blocks weren't dimensioned to match the height of an even number of courses of bricks?

Is it because the Chicago office designed the brick, and the Milwaukee office designed the block?