Can RSNetworks be used to estimate EtherNet/IP network load for non-Rockwell scanners

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Rockwell experts. I have a customer who is using two non-Rockwell EtherNet/IP scanners for control of car-body line robots and IOs. Both scanners' configuration tools are relatively primitive, and will allow the automation engineer to configure a network that cannot keep the required RPI as configured with the engineering tool, because it allows adding EtherNet IP adapter nodes without checking whether the PPS supported by the scanner itself has been overrun in the configuration. One of the scanner is the robot controller itself, which becomes the scanner of its gripping tool, welder and other end-of-arm tools. In this case the configuration tool is not a Windows program, but the teach pendant.
So, this customer did by himself a detailed calculation for some of the configurations he is currently using in his plant, for which MS Excel was his tool of choice, but he fears other divisions of his company will find this calculation cumbersome.
So I am thinking whether this customer could buy a license of RSNetowrks just to create configurations and use the RSNetworks off-line analysis capabilities to do what he so painstakingly did in MS Excel (he included calculation of bits required by overhead in the Ethernet frame, really difficult to pass to other engineers/divisions).
I used RSNetworks for ControlNet about 20 years ago, and in the case of EtherNet/IP I have only use general purpose devices in small networks, so Logix Studio has so far been enough for me, thus I am ignorant of RSNwtworks for EtherNet/IP.
I would appreciate your insights and experience with regards to whether RSNetorwks could be helpful for this one customer.

Thanks for reading up to here.