Clipped 120VAC waveform output from PLC5 output module 1771-OAD

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Preface:
Kinda long, so I made section titles

Intro:
I just want to see if anyone here has seen anything similar. A PLC5-40 series C enhanced has been chugging along for years. Now, a single output seems to be flickering a couple times a minute. The output in question is O:012/11 which drives a relay for the run contacts of a PowerFlex 40. We have not seen the anomaly on any other outputs. Bad triac or support component right? Apparently not.

System details:
On this module, O/0 is unused. O/1 through O/5 are three starters and two PF40 run relays that are always on during production. O/6 through O/12 are PF40 run relays for discharge belts of five supply hoppers that feed material. (Octal addressing is five points) Each hopper holds about 2.5 hours of material. The hoppers discharge until empty and we move to the next hopper. Ideally the hopper runs continuously until empty with speed modulation around 60-ish Hz, but a few stops here and there when a downstream surge hopper gets high is fine and normal.

O/13 through O/17 are reverse relays for the hopper drives that aren’t used for production. Overall system has 7 120Vin, 3 120Vout, 1 Ain, 3 Aout.

The problem:
Last week, a discharge started stopping and restarting suddenly. Digging into it, we found the run relay would briefly flicker off a couple times a minute. All wiring seemed fine then we scoped the output and saw truncated half waves in either direction were randomly happening which dropped out the ice cube run relay that doesn’t have enough hold to ride through. We dealt with it until down.

Attempted fixes:
During a short down window, a coworker changed the module in question. The first one tried seemingly had a backplane connection problem and the whole module flickered unless held pushed. The next module tried initially seemed fine, but after production started, it was discovered this output was stuck on. Hmmm. The module was labeled at some point output 0 bad so it was questionable. We worked around that until down again.

When down, I replaced the module again with used, working when removed. This time everything seemed fine. I ran the output a few minutes with a bit of tapping and wiggling and everything seemed fine. Again during production, it turned out to still be flickering and dropping the relay.

Next:
So, I suppose the next logical thing is replace the backplane at our next opportunity. This is just weird and perplexing and actually interesting even if it’s frustrating. So, has anyone seen anything like this, or does anyone have a suggestion other than backplane next?

Appendix:
Here’s an example of a blip and a picture of the old gal. She has about another year until retirement. With a full wave, the scope shows 118V. 108V shows on this frame with the blip.

IMG_7945.jpg IMG_8023.jpg

Force the output on....does it still flicker? Just ruling out a program race condition causing the actual output to pulse.

Have you tried moving the device on that output to another unused output? If the problem follows, your issue is with the load on that output. Have you checked the total load on that output module?

That is pretty bizarre.

I think those triac output modules are supposed to switch off and on at (very near) the zero crossing point. Could it be that the output is being turned off by the PLC program (or some externally connected device) for one scan, and that waveform is the result of the slight delay? You'd expect to miss at least a half cycle before it picked back up though.

I wouldn't expect a waveform like that could be caused by an issue with the relay coil that it is driving, but that is the next item I would look to replace.

it looks like the Triac is about to fail.
I would replace the module before it fails.
for reference SCR's and Triac's can turn on any place in the cycle but can only turn off when the current through them goes negative, generally Triac outputs are set up for zero crossing meaning they will turn on near the zero point. this minimizes electrical noise in the circuit.
Triac's are 2 Parrell SCR's mounted in opposed direction