Comms isse

nievesdelimon

Hi,

I'm working on a turntable which has had Valve blocks, master blocks, and IO blocks replaced with new ones. We're using BNI008M ofr MB and BNI0090 for the IO blocks. I configured one side first and it was working properly, communicating, the tooling worked fine in manual mode. Then I moved onto the other side and nothing worked, comms were not ok, the MB was not getting any inputs according to the PLC. I switched the MBs to verify if one wasn't working, however, after switching them nothing worked on any side anymore, afterwards I switched them back and comms are not ok on both sides, nothing works anymore. Does anyone have any Ideas as to what is happening or what might be causing it?

Is any of the cable getting too much tension?
What PLCs are you using? What protocol are you using to access the blocks?
Can you ping the IP of the Master blocks, and view them in Studio5k(Presumably?)
Are the lights on the blocks blinking?

There's enough slack on the cables, I can ping the IP of both Master blocks and view them on the IO tree and on RSLinx and the lights on the blocks are solid. Input ports are all off, there's no communication between MB and devices connected to ports 1-6.

Last edited:
Are you using the AOI + UDT provided by Balluff?
In order for an active connection via IOLink, each port's IOLink mode needs to be turned on - this is a bit per port in the Master's UDT or AOI, one of them. Then the device also needs to be power cycled. This would be indicated by green flashing lights(At least in BNI006A, similar device) indicating "IO-Link mode on" and Solid green if an IOLink connection is made successfully.

Are these bits turned on? I can see if a 0-valued UDT was copied and power cycled, the IO would stop working.

This .zip file has the manual titled "AOI_BNI006A_50_31_040 User Guide"

https://assets.balluff.com/WebBinary1/ST_AOI_BNI_EIP_508_105_R015_DRF_950002_00_000.zip

On page 14, it mentions Port_X_Function. Can you try to set this to 1 and then power cycle the block?

Last edited:
Are you using the AOI + UDT provided by Balluff?
In order for an active connection via IOLink, each port's IOLink mode needs to be turned on - this is a bit per port in the Master's UDT or AOI, one of them. Then the device also needs to be power cycled. This would be indicated by green flashing lights(At least in BNI006A, similar device) indicating "IO-Link mode on" and Solid green if an IOLink connection is made successfully.

Are these bits turned on? I can see if a 0-valued UDT was copied and power cycled, the IO would stop working.

This .zip file has the manual titled "AOI_BNI006A_50_31_040 User Guide"

https://assets.balluff.com/WebBinary1/ST_AOI_BNI_EIP_508_105_R015_DRF_950002_00_000.zip

On page 14, it mentions Port_X_Function. Can you try to set this to 1 and then power cycle the block?

I think this was the issue, all the lights were off. I managed to get one IOLink port on and that turned all the other ports green lights on.