Compact Logix 5069-L306ER Energy Storage Fault

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi gang,
We just recently started using these newer controllers, and I have a energy storage fault on one of them.

It's not causing any issues with this controller, because we read the program from the memory card at power up. It's in a nasty part of the plant and power quality can be an issue at times.

Is this a replaceable part?

From the Rockwell Site:
The energy storage module that is internal to the CompactLogix 5370/5380 controllers can still log a minor fault, a Type 10 Code 14. This would indicate a hardware anomaly with the internal ESM indicating it should be replaced. However, since the internal ESM can not be replaced the entire controller will need to be replaced.

Hmm, Must be the age of the things.
I just got my first call this morning from a customer wanting to send one in for repair.
My first thought was a large super capacitor being used instead of a battery.
Looking at the replacement modules for the ones that can use them, I saw something interesting. I won't know until the unit comes in but I have a hunch.

i got this same issue this afternoon. there was a power bump and the plc faulted after power came backed on. program was wiped out from the controller. go online - clear the major fault and download the program. i still have the energy storage fault in red . SD card as a back up and configure load on power-up. that is for now untill a new processor arrives. the plc is running good so far, excepting the energy module fault.

the plc is a 5069-L306ER .

I just got a new 5069-L306ers and on power up and initial download before it leaves the building for install, I got this same energy storage fault red light on the pane, but theres no fault in the log, with all boxes checked in minor, nothing in major, and nothing on the safety tab....Is our controller faulty on arrival?