CompactLogix Modbus TCP/IP

grnick50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

Is it possible to Run Ethernet IP and Modbus TCP/IP at the same time with a CompactLogix Processor ([FONT=&quot]1769-L33ER)[/FONT]?
Is it easy to implement Modbus TCP/IP with CompactLogix?

I need to run two SLC500 racks using 1747-AENTR and read some Modbus TCP/IP powermeters at the same time?

What considerations should be taken into account for the 1747-AENTR? Is there a limit on IOs etc?

It is possible to run both EtherNet/IP and the ladder-logic based raw sockets application that implements Modbus/TCP at the same time.

Unless your Modbus/TCP needs are very modest, I recommend using a Prosoft or other dedicated-purpose Modbus/TCP module. The Modbus/TCP implementation in ladder logic is memory intensive and not elegant.

There is an excellent FAQ in the RA Knowledgebase that also points to other publications and resources for understanding the use of the 1747-AENTR with CompactLogix and ControlLogix. There are some limitations that you need to read about and understand with the 1747-AENTR.

RA Knowledgebase ID # 471083 (Access Level: Everyone)

I'm going to recommend our standard solution again.

Wago 750-881 or 750-882. The controllers support both EIP (as I/O to the CLX) and MBTCP (master or slave) on the MBTCP network. The entire app is 4 lines of code. The 750-881 has a single IP address while the 750-882 has 2 IP addresses.

Good Luck,

Yosi