CompactLogix & SCADA.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm new to the PLCs world and I'm working on a project that will be implemented with a CompactLogix and a CTC Parker touch screen running Interact XPress.
Even though it was not required initially by the client, they are asking what could be done to have a SCADA system.
Looking at the definition of "SCADA", I think that the "Supervisory Control" part of the acronym is already covered by using the touch screen (or do I need more than that?).
The "Data Acquisition" part of the definition is where I have my doubts. Do CompactLogix/RSLogix 5000 have the capability for data collection? Do I have to get some additional software/hardware to collect and store data from the PLC? Any recommendations?

I will appreciate your comments on this.

Elcan said:
I'm new to the PLCs world and I'm working on a project that will be implemented with a CompactLogix and a CTC Parker touch screen running Interact XPress.
Even though it was not required initially by the client, they are asking what could be done to have a SCADA system.
Looking at the definition of "SCADA", I think that the "Supervisory Control" part of the acronym is already covered by using the touch screen (or do I need more than that?).
The "Data Acquisition" part of the definition is where I have my doubts. Do CompactLogix/RSLogix 5000 have the capability for data collection? Do I have to get some additional software/hardware to collect and store data from the PLC? Any recommendations?

I will appreciate your comments on this.

Typically a SCADA would reside on a PC running software packages such as RSView , Intouch. The PLC would process the analog and digital sensors and present them via a communication link, such as Ethernet, to the SCADA for the Data Acquisition part.

PLCs are optimized for running and solving logic, not data acquisition.