ControlLogix 5555 Out of Memory

Can anyone help shed some light on this.

ControlLogix5555 was being edited online, with pending edits, when we lost comms from the laptop, then plant shut down. Back online, PLC had lost its program and controlnet config, although battery was fine.

Restored eventually and all working OK.

Further minor edits done a week later, again pending edits, when "PLC out of Memory " message came up. Checked processor properties, and 1.6MB of 1.5MB PLC memory used, so minor edits would not complete.

Got a new 5555 processor with 3.5MB memory, loaded up offline project and swapped them over, after controlled plant shutdown.

Plant back up and running with new processor, then checked memory of the PLC taken out (powered up in a spare rack), and it was showing 0.75MB.
New PLC in the plant was showing similar memory usage around 0.75MB, but now after a weekend of running, is back up at 1.4MB, although no changes made to it that we know of.

I understand that when making edits, the PLC will copy the rung being edited, so that will increase the memory used whilst edits are happening, but to report an increase in memory usage whilst running - that has confused me...

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks............John