ControlLogix IB16IF and OB16IEF

BeepBob

Hello,

I have two 16 point input cards and 1 16 point output card showing module faulted on my IO tree in Logix Designer.

The fault code is 16#0204 , I look into that code and it is a connection request time out.

But arn't these just straight discreet input and output cards, what connection is there? isn't that error code more for TCP/IP devices?

I don't know what to do next except to ask the tech to power cycle the chassis.

Anyone have any idea?

That error code means that the controller can't communicate with the module. This is probably a communications issue. Have you verified that the slot # is correct? If you can, please include a screenshot of the I/O tree and the I/O module properties General screen

OG

Are the modules in the chassis with the CPU, or on a network ?

0x0204 is uncommon in the chassis unless the module is defective or the slot is entirely incorrect.

The "F" means "Fast" on those modules. I think they typically get a Module direct type connection, rather than being put into a Rack Optimized connection. They can do a lot of fancy stuff that the ordinary discrete modules can't.

Hello,

Thank you for the response.

1. This system has been running for a long time
2. The cards are located in the local chassis of the PLC

Just got a call from a tech one day saying there is a comm alarm, I went online with the PLC and saw the three cards has yellow triangle on em.

The card in slot three is in "inhibit" so i think thats OK, a metasys slot server.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-09 132006.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-09 132006.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 9
Update. I had the tech power cycle the chassis and the IO cards came back all OK.

I/O Light on PLC is also solid green.

A short or grounding issue maybe...?

No one wants to trace those....

Just a guess:
Do you have any inductive loads connected to OB16F or other output modules?
Is so, then check to make sure all coils have suppressors.
Otherwise, surge can also destroy other cards on the backplate.