convert .rsp file to .rss

You have to remember that PLC5s are using Octal Addressing; this is the reason a PLC5 16-bit word ranges are 1-7 and 10-17.
The SLC platform uses decimal addressing hence up until bit 7 (inclusive) the addressing is identical, however, PLC5 X:Y/10 becomes SLC x:y/8, PLC5 X:Y/11 - SLC x:y/9 and so on until PLC5 X:Y/17 becomes SLC x:y/15; you might need to relabel the field wiring though...:D

Last edited:
one of the biggest issues in making this type of conversion is that the PLC-5 platform (the original) uses OCTAL addressing for its Inputs and Outputs ... but ... the SLC-500 platform numbers its Inputs and Outputs using DECIMAL ...

the best way that I've found to handle this is to make an Excel spreadsheet and show the original PLC-5 addressing in one column - and then fill in the next column with the corresponding addresses for the SLC-500 system ... if you go through it systematically, you'll start to see the pattern ...

I wish I had more time to help – but I'm swamped with work right now ... I'm sure some of the other forum members will be glad to chip in – but you'll probably have to be specific with exactly which addresses are giving you a problem ...

and to answer your specific question:

and will my program recognize the proper address the 16th node?

only if YOU (the programmer) properly convert the addresses ...

analogy: suppose that the Post Office goes down your street and reassigns some of the house numbers ... question: will the mail still go to the proper recipients? ... answer: only if someone goes out and repaints the numbers on the affected mailboxes – to match the newly assigned house numbers ... that "someone" will be YOU – the programmer ...

good luck with your project ...

Last edited:
thanks guys, i caught it about half way through the program change over... just have to go back.. and re do all of them..

one more thing i must ask though is, i have all the addresses changed and i am getting a major fault on slot one (the 1747-sn) when i attempt to put the processor into run mode. rs logix says that with my version i am unable to use the block transfer read and block transfer write instructions... i read that i need those to be able to communicate with where the RIO module stores the data.. am i wrong in this? i feel like im so close.. yet could be so far away

where are the Block Transfers that were giving you trouble? ...

you've only got a 4 slot chassis ("rack") with only the Scanner module in it? ...

My version of rslogix does not allow me.to select btr or btw... and yes.. the rack only.has a scanner and CPU... all of the io is flex io with a 1747-asb module.. baud rate is the same and proper resisor is in place.. i selected the g file length of 5 and selected a"whole rack" in advanced config

I would look hard a long for the old offline file or if at all possible try to contact the original
programmer. That's a big program to add comments to.