Copy & Paste not working - RSLogix 500 8.20.00 (CPR 9)

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm stumped. I have to make 95 copies of a rung and edit each of them. This shouldn't be a problem (SLC5/05) using on-line or off-line editing, but I can't get it to work this morning.

When I right-click on the left side of the rung I want to copy, the menu pops up, allowing me to select "Copy", but when I right-click to "Paste" the copied rung, the "Paste" function doessn't work. I can see it in the menu, but it it isn't bold (Paste versus Paste).

I've never had this issue before, so I'm assuming there's a setting within RSLogix that I must have changed by mistake. Can anyone help me out here? It's going to take forever to add all these rungs individually...

Occasionally Windoze takes control of my clipboard and pastes the wrong text or just refuses to cooperate with me. Usually, this happens when I use the keyboard shortcut and I get around it by reverting to the right click menus.

Also, when my clipboard acts up, it often coincides with having used MS Excel.

Have you tried with the shortcut keys (CTRL+C, CTRL+V)?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. CTRL+V won't work for pasting, either. It's gotta be something particular to RSLogix - I can copy & paste with Office applications, IE, AutoCAD, etc. Here's a copy of your reply, copied & pasted.

Occasionally Windoze takes control of my clipboard and pastes the wrong text or just refuses to cooperate with me. Usually, this happens when I use the keyboard shortcut and I get around it by reverting to the right click menus.
Also, when my clipboard acts up, it often coincides with having used M***cel.
Have you tried with the shortcut keys (CTRL+C, CTRL+V)?

if the "paste" selection is greyed out, this indicates that nothing is on the clipboard to paste.

You never actually copied anything to paste yet.

as for why, you may not be selecting the rung properly.

try highlighting the text in a comment and copy paste with that as a test.

if that works, it is in your rung selection.

if that does not work, your clipboard is broken.

could be a stuck Ctrl key or Shift, because then the PC would receive Ctrl Shift V instead of Ctrl V.

Or maybe a stuck Alt key. Stuck Shift would make your case wrong.

also try highlighting the text version of the rung. AB allows you to edit the rung in text.

I always get tripped up requiring several extra clicks to get to the ladder version of the rung when I want to add an instruction.

if the "paste" selection is greyed out, this indicates that nothing is on the clipboard to paste.

You never actually copied anything to paste yet.

as for why, you may not be selecting the rung properly.

try highlighting the text in a comment and copy paste with that as a test.

if that works, it is in your rung selection.

if that does not work, your clipboard is broken.

could be a stuck Ctrl key or Shift, because then the PC would receive Ctrl Shift V instead of Ctrl V.

Or maybe a stuck Alt key. Stuck Shift would make your case wrong.

The only thing I can't copy & paste are rungs. I can copy comments - I just copied a rung comment and pasted it into a page title field.

Copy & Paste works for every situation & application except pasting rungs in RSLogix.

Stuck key has gotten me before, but shouldn't that get flagged on boot up?

Know-base has some comments about copy and paste breaking in RSLogix5k and they make reference to a particular anti-virus/firewall software made by Computer Associates causing the interference. But that seems to apply to any object, not just rungs:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/59568

Last edited:
also try highlighting the text version of the rung. AB allows you to edit the rung in text.

I always get tripped up requiring several extra clicks to get to the ladder version of the rung when I want to add an instruction.

I can copy the mnemonic version of a rung, either.

Stuck key has gotten me before, but shouldn't that get flagged on boot up?

Know-base has some comments about copy and paste breaking in RSLogix5k and they make reference to a particular anti-virus/firewall software made by Computer Associates causing the interference.

Everything worked fine last night. No new software installed.

One more WAG:
Try exporting the program as a .SLC library file.

Then create a new file and import the .SLC file.

Better yet, before you try the above steps, start a new file and make a rung or two and see if copy and paste works for rungs in a new, fresh file.

One more WAG:

Better yet, before you try the above steps, start a new file and make a rung or two and see if copy and paste works for rungs in a new, fresh file.

I can copy and past as .slc library file.

If I start a new file, I cannot copy & paste rungs within it, either.

This is driving me crazy...

One more WAG:

I would add , go back to the file you were using yesterday or the day before or a previously achieved version.

Trying a new 2 rung program is a good suggestion.

Narrows it down to RSLogix or the current file being edited.

I would add , go back to the file you were using yesterday or the day before or a previously achieved version.

Trying a new 2 rung program is a good suggestion.

Narrows it down to RSLogix or the current file being edited.

It's definitely a RSLogix problem. As I indicated, it worked fine last night. I left RSLogix and the program I was working on open all night, but I can't edit it this morning. Actually, I can edit it, just not copy & paste. I think the "Copy" function is the issue. CTRL + C doesn't work, either.

I've tried creating a new program and copying rungs within it, but it won't work. Nor will any of the existing programs I've tried.