CPU Fault on power loss on a slc 501

Thanks for the info Ken. I now know not to try that again. I apparently got lucky this one time because its functioning fine once I reload the program. It has also accepted a new program with only two rungs I ran as a test to see if the fault still happened.......it did.

don’t just go pulling the processor while you have the power on especially if you know that this isn’t a "preferred method"

While I appreciate the fact you're trying to help me, Ken and yourself have already told me that wasn't a good idea.

Let's keep the piling on to a minimum

It's been a long while since I worked on a 5/01 controller; the operating system of the 5/01 goes back to the late 1980's and it was almost completely replaced by the 5/03 as soon as that came out in 1993. If I was going to replace the controller I'd use the 8K version of the 5/03 rather than trying to get an actual 5/01.

The key symptom that I see is that the controller seems to be reporting that the user program has been erased; you mentioned that it reports the online program name to be "no program".

So, this isn't a conventional fault. It's not a misconfigured I/O slot, or a divide-by-zero, or something else related to the user program. It's a failure that happens when the operating system first boots up on power-up.

If you happen to have an OPC-capable version of RSLinx you can link the S:6 status word to Excel or the OPC Test Client or the Data Table Monitor to check if there's a useful value in there.

I've seen power-cycle problems related to the power supply (sometimes it's the 115/230V switch) and the chassis and the CPU. Which one you change out depends on what you've got for spares and testing. If it were me, I've got a bunch of spare 1747 chassis and power suppplies that are known to be good so I'd put the controller into one of those to test it.

Thanks to all that helped me out.

The power supply was the problem. I incorrectly ruled that out when the processor still faulted when pulling and replacing it under power (which I will never do again). I sometimes let my eagerness to solve a problem get in the way of my common sense.

Thanks again,
Roy