Dancer web tension control

Again, give it a try. It would be relatively easy to do. You will need to make a force profile since the friction most likely changes as you move along the rails.

However, my guess is that you won't see much of a gain. By the time you detect the need for the offset the tension disturbance already occurred. Let's take the example where tension is a little below setpoint. Your control system will be increasing the torque command to try and get more tension into the web. But none of that torque is going into the web; it is going into breakaway force for the dancer system. Keep in mind that tension is the result of strain. You need relative displacement of sometning in the web path to create a change in tension. Once that breakaway force is exceeded the dancer will transfer the increased force into the web by moving slightly. At that point the tension will make a step up, since there is more force available than is required for tension. This is the first point that you can detect the need for anything. By the time you can react the need for the reaction is probably gone.

Now, if you are using this dancer as an accumulator also and the dancer makes extended unidirectional moves, then the friction compensation you are talking about is much more valuable. In that case a good friction map and speed and position knowledge can go a long way toward a good disturbance rejection scheme. But during 'stable' operation as a dancer, not so much.

Keith

You could always install a Dancer Position Card, It will taks care of the system deviations. Look at the CAROTRON dancer position card. I used them many times and they are good.

Originally posted by ALVIN DAVIS:

You could always install a Dancer Position Card, It will taks care of the system deviations. Look at the CAROTRON dancer position card.

How is that going to mechanically free up his dancer so that dancer motion doesn't introduce tension variation?

Keith

You could always install a Dancer Position Card, It will taks care of the system deviations. Look at the CAROTRON dancer position card. I used them many times and they are good.

Carotron
Now thats funny. I havent heard that name since the 80's on cheap textile equipment

Our mechanical engineers (great guys) came up with a bright idea to help solve this issue: they proposed to install a small pivoting dancer that will be regulating the web tension. The job of our linear dancer will be only as accumulator (moving at roll change, once every 30 minutes). We will build a prototype and test the whole thing, I have high hopes that it will work…
Thanks

Good plan. That should take care of the majority of your issue with variable tension.

You may still have some issues during the time the accumulator is operating if it is still pneumatically loaded. You still have to drag that around. But if you aren't too worried about tension variation during accumulator operation you should be fine.

Keith