Ecoline 100-XS Labeler Interface Issues

Picklemon

I'm having an issue getting an Ecoline 100-XS label dispensing machine connected to my PLC. The interface cable is a 15 pin Sub-D connector.
I had no problem getting the trigger signal to the labeler to work, but I'm not getting status/fault signals back.

At first I didn't look closely at the provided diagram and wired it as a PNP transistor to my 1734-IB8. (Wiring 1.png)

After that didn't work, I looked closer at the transistor symbol and realized it was probably an NPN transistor. I don't have any sourcing input cards available, so I wired it up a to spare relay in the panel. (Wiring 2.png)
Still not working. I'm reading 24VDC to Ground on both sides of the relay coil.

The specification listed for the labeler says that the interface is rated for 12-24V, 5-20mA. The relay I used should only pull 8mA:
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/relays_-z-_timers/electro-mechanical_relays/slim_-z-_card_relays,_5a_(rs_series)/rs4n-de

I only have an email to contact the manufacturerand they haven't responded, yet.

This is a re-purposed labeler that worked with a previous machine, but that machine is in the scrap heap and my customer didn't have drawings for how it was wired.

Any suggestions on what to try next would be appreciated.

Wiring 1.png Wiring 2.png