Emulate not being recognized in Whos Active

agracing247

Hello,
I’m having trouble seeing my virtual backplane emulator in Who’s Active and in FactoryTalk communication setup windows. I’ve setup the drivers in Emulate 5000 and changed the slots but I’m not able to get the two programs to recognize my emulator to go online. Please help. I’ve posted a video on YouTube to help show the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_auprL5tyi4

Thanks

FactoryTalk Linx creates a module in the emulator. The default for that module is slot #1. I don't see that module in your emulator. It should list the name of your PC (AHUNTER) across the top. I see your controller (slot #0) and I see RSLinx Classic (slot #16) in your chassis.

It is possible that the slot # is conflicting with one of those two modules. Below is how to specify the virtual slot # for FactoryTalk Linx. I don't know of a way to change this from Studio 5000. I use FactoryTalk Administration Console to view or change these settings.

If you open the FT Admin Console, select Local instead of Network. Then click the Communications tab near the bottom left. Right-click on the 1789 Backplane and select Properties. From there you'll see an option to Auto Configure the slot. Then below that it will show the slot # it is trying to use.

I typically uncheck the Auto Configure and select a different slot. Then click OK. Go back to the Emulate chassis and verify the module appears in that slot. Once that is done you should be able to browse.

That is my guess as to the cause of the problem.

EDIT: Open the Admin Console again and select Network. Open this same setting and verify the slot # matches the Local configuration. On mine it was set to None and perhaps, this could cause the controller to disappear from the emulator.

OG

Last edited:
I did that and its still not visible. All of the slots aren't visible in the VBP properties drop down. I think there's supposed to be a 15th slot due to me assigning the 16th to the VBP.