Factory Talk view and Analog Values

turbohamad

Dear Friends;
I am new to Factory Talk View. I want to Pass analog values from FTV to the studio 5000 program for simulation.
For example like slide bar or enter an integer in FTV and see change in Logix.

Please guide me on how I will do this task?

Regards

In the future, it is helpful to identify whether you are using FactoryTalk View Machine Edition (ME) or Site Edition (SE). There are differences in how these two packages work. Likewise if you can tell us a version. I don't want to tell you how to do something only to find out later that you were using an older version and he method I described doesn't apply to that version. I am going to assume you are using ME.

First, have you setup communications between FTV and your Logix controller? This would be done in RSLinx Enterprise. Note that in newer versions of FTV this was renamed to FactoryTalk Linx.

I will assume you have already done this.

In your Studio 5000 you must have a tag to which you want to write. If that tag does not already exist, then you will need to create it. Typically this would be a DINT or a REAL. The tag can be a Controller Tag or a Local/Program Tag. Again another name change there. What used to be called Program Tags are now called Local Tags.

The easiest method to send a value to the controller is to type the value. For that, we will use a Numeric Input object.

1. Open the display where you want to place the object
  2. Go to the Objects menu at the top of the screen and select Numeric and String ==> Numeric Input Enable
  3. Draw a rectangle on the display. This object will appear as a pushbutton
  4. After drawing the object you should see the Properties window. I won't go through everything here, but click on the Label tab
  5. In the Caption field type the text you want to appear on the button
  6. Click on the Connections tab and to the right of the Value click the three dots in the Tag column
  7. In the Tag Browser window you need to browse to and select the tag in the controller that you wish to write to.
  8. The left hand side of that window is where you browse to the tag location and the right hand side is where you select the tag itself. Select the tag and click OK to close the Tag Browser
  9. Click OK to close the Numeric Input Enable Properties window
  10. Click the Test Display icon (looks like a Play icon) to put the display into Run mode.
  11. Press or click on the button and you should see a keypad appear where you can enter your value.
  12. Enter the value and verify you see the change appear in your Logix controller.

That should get you started.

OG