FactoryTalk Alarms automatically resetting

dmned64

I have a FactoryTalk SE Local project setup with an alarm server and historical logging to a database. What we are noticing is every time an alarm is set, two seconds later it gets reset. I know this what not always occurring but I am not sure when it started or what may have changed to create the problem.

These are simple alarms tied to bits in the PLC logic. Currently I do not direct access to the PLC or the HMI. The information is being relayed to me by the customer. First, I have asked them to check the PLC bits to ensure they are, in fact, remaining set. I suspect they are based on how the logic is written.

So, my focus is on the HMI setup. I created a test project attempting to replicate the problem but my test worked fine.

Coincidentally, the alarm update rate is the only setting I know in the HMI that happens to equal this two second resetting being experienced, although the documentation clearly states the update rate does not affect the alarm state.

I am trying to get more information from the customer but thought I would throw this out for suggestions in case someone has experienced a similar phenomenon.

Last edited:
The two second update is the clue....plc bit is on, alarm displays...plc bit goes off within 2 seconds so on next update its off, alarm goes off. Plc bits are turning on then off despite what you think the logic is showing.

I was thinking the same thing the alarms aren't latching. If they aren't meant to latch on plc side I think there is a setting in the alarms configuration to latch them in FT.