FactoryTalk Trends (again!)

Guys...It's a firmware issue for early 5.1 revisions...
I have tried all the tricks in the bag (Delete Log Files is the only one that worked at times).
Updating the firmware to the latest,5.10.08 solved all the Data Logging problems...:geek:

We haven't had any issues with our FTV SE... so far...:unsure:

Only logging data on stand alone ME running terminals; a batch of early 5.1 PV+ (700s, 1000s and 1500s) drove me crazy for almost a year; sometimes deleting the log files got the logging going until the next download or power cycle/reset brought data collection to a halt...🔨
I bit the bullet and upgraded the terminals' firmware to 5.10.08 and guess what?...now they are breezing through all the initially advertised features...:whistle:

OK ........ I have updated the FW in the PV and nada. Still no retention. Not certain if the datalogger simply is not updating, or if the trends are not linking to the data properly.

Well...:unsure:
None of the trends are retaining data when the display is not active?...Or only some?
How much onboard RAM does the terminal contain?
How long of a time period is(are) the trend(s) deployed onto?...What is the "Maximum data points" limit for the respective trends and what is the "logging granularity" (how often and at what percentage change the pen tags get recorded)?
It might be a terminal limitation afterall...the firmware is using most of the system's resources...what's "left over" could be used by user tasks (such as logging data), however, the HMIs are not database systems...
I went through all the above with RA TechSuppport, to no avail in our case...There was only one Data Logger per terminal application with some less than 10K data points limits...The firmware update (not even suggested by Rockwell!) did it for us...
You might have to contact them after all...You've paid good $$$$ for something which doesn't perform as advertised...🔨

Well...:unsure:
None of the trends are retaining data when the display is not active?...Or only some?
How much onboard RAM does the terminal contain?
How long of a time period is(are) the trend(s) deployed onto?...What is the "Maximum data points" limit for the respective trends and what is the "logging granularity" (how often and at what percentage change the pen tags get recorded)?
It might be a terminal limitation afterall...the firmware is using most of the system's resources...what's "left over" could be used by user tasks (such as logging data), however, the HMIs are not database systems...
I went through all the above with RA TechSuppport, to no avail in our case...There was only one Data Logger per terminal application with some less than 10K data points limits...The firmware update (not even suggested by Rockwell!) did it for us...
You might have to contact them after all...You've paid good $$$$ for something which doesn't perform as advertised...🔨

It was none of the above.

The correct answer is that I am a moron.

Back when this was living as a PVP Compact application I ended up unchecking the check box for datalogging in the "startup" window because it was bogging down that model. When I ported it over to the PVP6 I apparently neglected to re-check that box. So the datalog was never getting started on boot up. o_O

So yeah, self inflicted wound this time. Still doesn't explain why it always brought the PVP compact to it's knees, but it doesn't appear to bog down the PVP6 at all.

Probably because the PVPCs are "bottom feeders" within the AB HMIs' lineup... the PV+6s really are the "top-dog" and a huge improvement overall; the 6s are running an MS SQL embedded within their firmware which, guess what, it is not a RA development but good old Windows...
Making a long story short...Lately, I am avoiding at all costs using anything less than PV+6 and the Compacts are not an option unless some cost aware accountant VP demands it...o_O

I found my issue with my one pen. I used a tag from the screen instead of the tag from the plc, evidently the pens don't like to do math./10 to scale my value down, I used to already scaled tag from the plc.