FactoryTalk View Recipes

OkiePC,

The specific problem with the ST files is to use them with recipes.
Take a look at my explanation above.
I wasn´t able to properly configure a recipe to store a value from an ST file.

Okay, so your problem was with the FTView Recipe structure. I agree with the comments of others that it is probably much safer to "roll your own" recipe system.

I answered your post earlier today but for some reason I can´t see what I wrote so I´ll just do it again.

The problem I have with the ST files is that I was trying to store some string fields into a recipe and I couldn´t define the recipe as I explained above.

The problem started in FT View, although I still can´t use ST data in recipes working just within RSLogix 500.

The explanation above corresponds to when I tried to define the recipes in the PLC.

I made a mistake. It´s not RSLogix 500 what I´m using .... it´s RSLogix Micro (this is all new and I reviewed so many web pages that I get confused.

I am not sure I understand what the problem is. Your last post says that you are only seeing two characters, because you are looking at a specific word within the string element.

You were trying use the .data delimiter, as in ST9:1.1 when you just need to use ST9:1 to access the WHOLE string element. I think we are past that now, so I am not sure if there is something different going on...

Can you describe what it is that is still giving you trouble?

I´ll try to explain the problem.
I tried to include ST data in a recipe and run into problems.
Please see the attached screenshot.

I tried to define the ST data in different ways to avoid getting an error and to be able to store and load the data in the recipe.

I used different ST records in the example (ST9:1, ST9:2, ....) just to make it easier to explain.
What I wanted to do is to save the complete string in the recipe.

In the first example (ST9:1.DATA[0]), as you already explained me before, this points to the first word (ST9:1.DATA[0] and ST9:1.DATA[1]). I miss all the other words in the record beyond the first one (from the 3rd character til lthe end of the string).

2nd example (ST9:2.DATA[0] with LENGTH=5). I tried here to get the first 10 characters (5 words) of ST9:2. As you can see, what I get are the first word of 5 different records (ST9:2, ST9:3, ST9:4, ST9:5 and ST9:6).

Third example, since in the 1st case I got just one word, I tried to define separately the 1st word (ST9:7.DATA[0]), the 2nd word (ST9:7.DATA[3]) and so on. I started with ST9:7="abcdef", I stored the recipe and when I loaded the recipe back, I just got the first word in ST9:7 ("ab"), I lost the others ("cdef" was lost).

The last example, I tried to referentiate the whole string using just ST9:8 and when I hit ENTER i get the error message shown.

So, I couldn´t find how to use ST data in recipes.

Capture.JPG

I know it is an old thread, but perhaps my answer can help others seeking to store strings in a recipe on a Micrologix PLC.

Sadly, the bottom line is: STRINGS ARE NOT CONVENIENTLY SUPPORTED.

See the attached image, from page 360 of the micrologix 1500 lrp programming manual 1762-rm001_-en-p

string_not_supported.jpg