FTVME question

kevinc69

I had to replace a PVP1000 (v3.20.06) yesterday. The PVP1000 that I replaced it with was firmware version 5.09. Everything seemed to work ok, so I left for the day. Well, some of the screens are password protected, and with the newer firmware version, their passwords no longer work. I dont have the option of entering a custom user name/password now. I had to alter the code so that the default user has access to all screens. Does anyone have any idea how to remedy this?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

When you step up from pre 4.something firmware to post 4.something firmware (can't remember the minor revision numbers) I believe you have to recreate the security because it doesn't translate. You'll need to know the login and password information that was used previously, and in viewME you open the project and double click on "runtime security" in the explorer pane.

It should open a window that shows your security information, and you will likely see entrees that are strings of alpha numerics. Delete those and recreate the logins, assign the proper security codes, save, and recreate your runtime file. Should be all set after that!

Welcome to the forum!

When you step up from pre 4.something firmware to post 4.something firmware (can't remember the minor revision numbers) I believe you have to recreate the security because it doesn't translate. You'll need to know the login and password information that was used previously, and in viewME you open the project and double click on "runtime security" in the explorer pane.

It should open a window that shows your security information, and you will likely see entrees that are strings of alpha numerics. Delete those and recreate the logins, assign the proper security codes, save, and recreate your runtime file. Should be all set after that!

I did that, but in the ME Runtime 4.00 and later tab, I dont have the option of entering a password, whereas in the ME Runtime 3.20 and earlier tab, I do have the password option. And when I go to change the password for that user, it gives me the message "Publish event failed".

Last edited:
In the ME Runtime 4.00 and later tab, there is an "Add..." button. You need to click this and create your new user or user group in that window. If you click that button, then select the option "Show users only" and click "Create New" > "FactoryTalk User", you will be able to create a new login profile and assign it a password. Once it is created, it should appear in the list in Runtime Security.

In the ME Runtime 4.00 and later tab, there is an "Add..." button. You need to click this and create your new user or user group in that window. If you click that button, then select the option "Show users only" and click "Create New" > "FactoryTalk User", you will be able to create a new login profile and assign it a password. Once it is created, it should appear in the list in Runtime Security.

Resolved!! I thought I was doing everything right, it just would not work...It kept giving me that "Published event failed" message. I moved over to our other automation laptop and I was able to establish a new password under the desired user name.