Guitar lessons without a guitar aka no hardware

cityjack

Evening all,

I have submitted a requisition for ~ 5K for a power supply, controller, input, and output card for next years budget. I will not know whether or not I am approved until January. Is there anything else or way I can put my awesome training to use after I get back to work if the company will not spring fr the equipment? Maybe used equipment. I see several Control logix racks on ebay. Good idea or no?

Thanks

Guitar player

Last edited:
If I could figure out how to share a picture w/o it being a web link...

Suffice to say, the best automation controls salesman loan you items to try out.

The good ones know, that this is their best shot on you implementing their hardware.

The dumb ones show you a picture.

No, seriously, play that ****. There is no reason you shouldn't have tons of hardware at your disposal to test for free.

Sometimes the dude moves on to a new company and just leaves the shyt.

In fact, what do you need? I didn't read your post as I have ADD. Well I'm not entirely sure, as I wasn't able to finish the test. But I'm sure I have one.

Help from the buckeye state

Thanks for the reply sir,

I am sure I could get our local rep to give me something to try, or maybe they might. But I'm sure they'd want it back.

I am currently training on Control Logix right now. I figure Compact logix equipment would work just as good.

The processor, the power supply, an ethernet switch and of course input and output cards.

Thanks for your help sir.

You're right in that a Compact Logix will be just as good as Control Logix for the purpose of training/practising/tinkering. Have a look at the 1769-L16ER-BB1B. It's an all in one unit with power supply, dual ethernet, and 16 in/16 out onboard. It'll be far, far cheaper than any Control Logix rig you can lay your hands on, even off ebay.

I just borrowed 3 L36-ERMS demo units and a demo safety editor licence from our AB/Rockwell people. The worst they can say is no. For the purposed of practising; you can try to get your hands on an L16/L18/L24 with a demo licence.

You could also try Micro800's with CCW.

Demo license

Thank you all. I will talk with my local rep when I get back home about a demo license. Not really sure what all needs to be included in my license. RSlogix500 and RSLinx500, is that it? Don't need access to structued text, or block diagrams, or anything other than ladder logic.

Thank you again.

Plenty of Micrologix on Ebay here for £200 with cards. This will get you started and certainly better than using the emulator.

All described as in working order, I dare say its readily more available in the states and cheaper than in the UK, at a cost that isn't even worth thinking about.

In terms of a bona fide test rig, they either want you to learn or they don't, but in order to, you need all the tools.

Micrologix?

I appreciate your help. I have a micrologix set up at work already. I was hoping to find something in the Controllogix realm if the company will not antee up with some money.

You have a point though. Either they want me to learn or they don't. I think we currently have four techs on staff right now with only that amount of licenses for Studio5000. It'll have to be not only the hardware but another license as well.

Have a good day sir.

Sid

Licensing shouldn't really be an issue - if you use a central license server, then five of you can share four licenses, and unless all five of you happen to be using the software at the same time, you won't have an issue. Even if you are, you'll get a 7-day grace period, so as long as you don't mind dealing with the popup I'm sure you could work with 4 licenses pretty much indefinitely.

Licenses

Thank you for the reply sir,

The licenses I believe reside on each of the control technicians' mobile buggys. Each guy has his own buggy he rolls around the plant from machine to machine. I am trying to talk them into getting an additional license for the technicians and that license can reside in their shop as a stationary license on a desktop. That way they can try their programs out in the shop on the resident in shop hardware, then when its proven, move it out to the floor and just download. That desktop station and hardware would by my training ground.

The technicians love the idea. I need the idea. I mean they paid for mew to go see Ron for a week. Now I just need them to finish the deal.

We'll see.

Thanks again.

Sid