Having ethernet issues

Stig

So I am working on a simple ejector project involving a Red Lion CR1000 HMI, Idec MicroSmart FC6A PLC, and a Cognex DM374 scanner.

The Scanner reads a 10x10 dot matrix code, if it is not the correct code it operates an ejector. Currently I have to set the code using Dataman in the cognex, I am trying to integrate a simple HMI so operations can change the accepted product code without me, or someone else dragging a laptop out onto the floor to change the accepted dot matrix code.

I only had a 1 week time-frame to design, source, order parts, and build a functional system, Allen Bradley components were unavailable so I resorted to Red Lion and Idec which I could get next day. I have used both in the past and have software for them. However that was almost 10 years ago when I last used their software. So this was a total "rush-job".

My issue comes down to Ethernet communication in the Red Lion HMI, I can ping all 3 devices, however the HMI seems to be the roadblock in comms, I am unable to read or write to the PLC from the HMI. It has been 10 years since using this combination, Did I miss something?

Attached are the HMI and PLC programs.

Last edited:
I don't have Idec software, so can only look at it from the Redlion Crimson side. I guess you followed this tech note from Redlion for connecting to Idec PLCs:
https://www.redlion.net/sites/default/files/drivers/g-idec.pdf
There aren't any obvious problems that I can see in your Ethernet port settings, but I am by no means even slightly an expert :)

Having said that the IP address ranges you have chosen are 'public' rather than 'private', if you have an Internet connected router it will try to connect to the Internet address rather than the local one. Again, I am not an expert.

I do see that two of your tags aren't connected to the PLC or Cognex, they are both are connected to internal HMI addresses. Also the tags that you have connected are set to 'write only', so they won't display HMI existing data.

I did what I could in that limited time of one week of making something upper management had a fever dream about, and functional out of dead air or a vision, it works in a basic way, however I now have time to make it user friendly (for production and maintenance), gotta love last minute, knee-jerk reactions, and wants over supply logistics and overall logic.