Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum

Back to Issue...

Padraic said:
I read them from the folders. Here are the version details from the installed programs list.
RSLinx Classic 2.57.00[/COLOR]
RSLinx Enterprise 5.20.00000
RSLogix 500 English 8.30.00
Rockwell Windows firewall Configuration utility1.00.05
Rockwell Automation USB CIP Driver Package
Redundancy Module Config Tool
Factory Talk Activation Server 3.02
Factory Talk Diagnostics 2.30
Factory Talk Services Platform 2.30
Factory Talk View Machine Edition 5.10.00

I'm using XP SP3
When I look at the installed list of programs I don't see FTVS, but when I go to start, programs, Rockwell Software, Factory Talk View, FTVS & FTV ME are listed there.

So, from the previous, FTV ME has installed FTVS, but it's known as FTV ME and is listed as so. You won't see "FactoryTalk View Studio" listed as installed unless you had only FTVS installed as a single purchase. The other items in bold were also installed by FTV ME.

Padraic said:
...Also the warning I get when starting FTV ME regarding the FT Services Platform, it says that I need version 2.10 although I have version 2.30. Can I install an earlier version?

The question more so is should you?

FTV ME v5.10 is a little older as I had expected and is lagging behind some of the other installed applications. FTSP v2.10 was in use around the time of FTV ME v5.00 and v5.10. Remember, there can be several installed applications dependant on FTSP at any one time. So something else more newer has installed FTSP v2.30, which is too new for FTV ME v5.10. This sort of lagging behind between interdependent versions happens from time to time and you either have to update the offending older software, or patch it...

The Technote below: 106083, from Rockwell's Knowledgebase, provides details on your specific issue, and a patch to apply to FTV ME v5.10 to make it compatible with the newer version of FTSP. If you can't view the Technote, then register with the KBase, it's free. You can then view any Technotes marked as "Access: Everyone". If a Technote is marked "Access: TechConnect", it means you require a Support contract to view it, which I assume you don't have? I always post the "Access" level for these links so users can quickly see if they will be able to view them or not, rather than clicking it only to be disappointed.

Just read this Technote please, don't act on it...

106083 - FactoryTalk View SE/ME 5.10.00 Patch for error messages when launching View Studio or client after upgrading FTSP to CPR9 SR3
Access Level: Everyone

That Technote advises you to first update to a Patch Roll-up dated 2010, before applying the linked patch. As the Technote is a little older now, the Patch Roll-up they refer to is considerably newer (Oct 2014), and does now include the patch you require and many others. I only pointed you to that Technote above to provide some specific details on the issue. A Patch Roll-up includes many cumulative patches rolled into one...

466418 - FactoryTalk View - Patch Roll-up for CPR9 SRx

The Roll-up is nearly 160MB, but it does include many patches that you don't require. It will, however, only install the patches your system does require.

After downloading - to install, find the "InstallAllPatches" file and run that.

If you have any difficulties downloading the file, I have a copy of it should you need me to upload it for you.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
So, from the previous, FTV ME has installed FTVS, but it's known as FTV ME and is listed as so. You won't see "FactoryTalk View Studio" listed as installed unless you had only FTVS installed as a single purchase. The other items in bold were also installed by FTV ME.

The question more so is should you?

FTV ME v5.10 is a little older as I had expected and is lagging behind some of the other installed applications. FTSP v2.10 was in use around the time of FTV ME v5.00 and v5.10. Remember, there can be several installed applications dependant on FTSP at any one time. So something else more newer has installed FTSP v2.30, which is too new for FTV ME v5.10. This sort of lagging behind between interdependent versions happens from time to time and you either have to update the offending older software, or patch it...

The Technote below: 106083, from Rockwell's Knowledgebase, provides details on your specific issue, and a patch to apply to FTV ME v5.10 to make it compatible with the newer version of FTSP. If you can't view the Technote, then register with the KBase, it's free. You can then view any Technotes marked as "Access: Everyone". If a Technote is marked "Access: TechConnect", it means you require a Support contract to view it, which I assume you don't have? I always post the "Access" level for these links so users can quickly see if they will be able to view them or not, rather than clicking it only to be disappointed.

Just read this Technote please, don't act on it...

106083 - FactoryTalk View SE/ME 5.10.00 Patch for error messages when launching View Studio or client after upgrading FTSP to CPR9 SR3

That Technote advises you to first update to a Patch Roll-up dated 2010, before applying the linked patch. As the Technote is a little older now, the Patch Roll-up they refer to is considerably newer (Oct 2014), and does now include the patch you require and many others. I only pointed you to that Technote above to provide some specific details on the issue. A Patch Roll-up includes many cumulative patches rolled into one...

466418 - FactoryTalk View - Patch Roll-up for CPR9 SRx

The Roll-up is nearly 160MB, but it does include many patches that you don't require. It will, however, only install the patches your system does require.

After downloading - to install, find the "InstallAllPatches" file and run that.

If you have any difficulties downloading the file, I have a copy of it should you need me to upload it for you.

Regards,
George
Hi George, Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Its been busy with work and stuff over the past few days.
I have read through all of your information, so I uninstalled everything, and carefully re-installed in the correct order, ensuring that I only installed FTSP 2.10, everything seems to be opening ok.
So the list of the installed applications is the same, except FTSP is version 2.10

Padraic,

Just to explain (I love explaining don't I?) the reason why you had FTSP v2.30 installed in the first place...

RSLogix 500 v8.30 had most likely installed FTSP v2.30. You've now reverted to FTSP v2.10, but luckily RSLogix 500 v8.30 is backward compatible with older versions of FTSP...

Compatibility of RSLogix 500 v8.30.00 with Rockwell Services

FactoryTalk Services Platform with RSLinx Enterprise:
FTSP v2.30.00 | RSLE v5.30.00 (CPR9 SR3)
FTSP v2.10.02 | RSLE v5.20.00 (CPR9 SR2)
FTSP v2.10.01 | RSLE v5.10.01 CPR9 SR1)
FTSP v2.10.00 | RSLE v5.10.00 (CPR9)

(CPR = Coordinated Product Release | SR = Service Release)

So, even though you have reverted FTSP to an older version than RSLogix 500 had originally installed, it should plod along nicely with FTSP v2.10.

Well done!

Regards,
George

Padraic,

Just to explain (I love explaining don't I?) the reason why you had FTSP v2.30 installed in the first place...

RSLogix 500 v8.30 had most likely installed FTSP v2.30. You've now reverted to FTSP v2.10, but luckily RSLogix 500 v8.30 is backward compatible with older versions of FTSP...

Compatibility of RSLogix 500 v8.30.00 with Rockwell Services

FactoryTalk Services Platform with RSLinx Enterprise:
FTSP v2.30.00 | RSLE v5.30.00 (CPR9 SR3)
FTSP v2.10.02 | RSLE v5.20.00 (CPR9 SR2)
FTSP v2.10.01 | RSLE v5.10.01 CPR9 SR1)
FTSP v2.10.00 | RSLE v5.10.00 (CPR9)

(CPR = Coordinated Product Release | SR = Service Release)

So, even though you have reverted FTSP to an older version than RSLogix 500 had originally installed, it should plod along nicely with FTSP v2.10.

Well done!

Regards,
George
Cheers, no I must remove to current program from the controller, clear it memory and start setting it up for my project.

Padraic,

Unless you need/want to save a copy of what's already in the controller, you don't necessarily have to remove/clear it. You can just create your new program offline in RSLogix 500 and then perform a Download to the controller. It will overwrite what's currently in it.

G.

Padraic,

Unless you need/want to save a copy of what's already in the controller, you don't necessarily have to remove/clear it. You can just create your new program offline in RSLogix 500 and then perform a Download to the controller. It will overwrite what's currently in it.

G.
just a curious question inbetween, does this overwrite *everthing* (like clearing) or does it leave stuff there? like with S7 I overwrite some stuff, put some new blocks in, but otherwhise-named blocks are still there, occupying space...

wimpiesplc said:
just a curious question inbetween, does this overwrite *everthing* (like clearing) or does it leave stuff there?...

It overwrites everything in the memory pertaining to the storage of the program. No user data is retained. The firmware, in separate memory, obviously is untouched.

Now, at the processor level, whether it actually writes zeroes to each memory address that was used (wipes), but now won't be, is another question? It may just clear a Master Boot Record (MBR) type reference to the memory allocations. This could potentially leave previous data stored in now unreferenced memory locations, which are simply waiting to be utilized again. Similar to delete in Windows just deleting a reference and not the actual data. You then have to wipe the hard drive to actual zero the memory, or overwrite with new data.

That's why you are always advised to upload a copy of the existing program in case you need to revert later.

Downloading is destructive.
Uploading is constructive.

G.

Slight change of plans

Hi all, sorry its been a while since I replied to this thread. I have been busy sourcing hardware for my project.
I have found a compactlogix 1769-L35E & a 1769-PA2 power supply. I am hoping to use my current compact I/O with this controller.
The reason I am going to use this is that I can use Ethernet IP with it. I have been advised that I wont have any comms issues with this set up. As opposed to having any issues down the road with my micrologix 1500.

Hi all, well I'm just about to start banging my head on the wall, I cant get the communications path to the controller set up. Firstly I had the following issues when installing RSLogix 5000
I have installed RSLogix 5000 but during the install I was asked to show the path or insert the CD for the following programs. Some of them I have older versions and some I don't have. Will RSLogix work ok with out them? They are as follows.

USB CIP driver V 3.11.02 I have installed V 3.06.01
RSLynx Classic V 2.57.00 I have installed V 2.55.00.16
RSLynx Enterprise V 5.30 I have installed V 5.2.00000
Factory Talk Gateway V 3.03 I don't have it installed

RS Net Worx For Controlnet V 10.01.00 I don't have it installed
RS Net Worx For Ethernet V 10.01.00 I don't have it installed
RS Net Worx For Devicenet V 10.01.00 I don't have it installed
Drive Executive V 5.03.12

When I powered up the PLC I tried the ping test and it worked fine a few times, but now it has stopped. I have tried to get on line to it but I'm not able to set the communications path to it. I'm gonna keep trying to figure it out over the weekend, I was just wondering if any of the above programs are preventing me from setting up the communications path to it.

I have set up a project on RSLogix 5000 but I think I may have not added the controller or set it up the right way.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

How are you trying to communicate? Serial or ethernet?

If serial which driver are you using?

If ethernet what is the IP of your NIC? IP of controller?

RSLynx Classic V 2.57.00 I have installed V 2.55.00.16
Hmmmm.... Could this be a sub-conscious description of the sly sneaky animal that RSLinx really is?

Last edited: