High Performance HMI Measurment Variability

MATT116

Have a customer wanting the ability to show the "Measurement variability in the last hour" (see pic).
I can handle generating the variability in the PLC just not sure what to use on the HMI to show the variability. I've been playing with a Polygon and the Vertical Position & Fill but just not getting the desired results. Any ideas?
Studio 5000 V24
PVPlus 6 15" & FTView ME V8.1

Capture.jpg

Can you post a screen shot of the animation that you are using?
(for the vertical and fill tabs)

Making those indicators can be done in FTView ME, but the exact settings are a bit tricky.
You'll need to know:
- pixel height of the complete indicator (bottom of the lowest bar to top of the highest bar)
- min and max possible (actual) values of the PV tag

I know you asked for variability, but an alternative that would be easier to understand is just show a 1 hour trend on the indicator bar. It doesn't have to have a lot of resolution (width) just a line extending from the pointer across width of the indicator. If you need more detail, you can always open up a regular trend for that. But for my money nothing presents "what's been happening for the last hour" like a simple trend.

I did it the other day, this is the way:
- Use a timer to know pick data, 1 minute is ok, it's up to you
- every time the timer kicks enter latest data into a fifo, if for an hour use a fifo with 60 positions.
- Compare latest data to the one before, this way you can use up or down arrow if data is bigger of lesser than before.
- Use fifo data to calculate average on the last hour.
- For varibility check for highest and lowest value on the last hour.

Guys thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I've been called to a job site so it will a week or so before I can start messing with it again.

arlenjacobs:
That is what I've been playing with. I was getting close just not what I was looking for but now that I think about it maybe my vertical position needs to be controlled by the "minimum" variability and the fill controlled by the "max" variability with fill direction set to up

mellis:
I thought about that too but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Like the idea though and would also sway the customer to accept it.

widelto:
Good info

Thanks

Last edited:
now that I think about it maybe my vertical position needs to be controlled by the "minimum" variability and the fill controlled by the "max" variability with fill direction set to up

Yeah, I think that's what you want.
Without seeing what you already have the below screenshots should help you out.

To start, make the "variability" rectangle the same height and same location as the whole indicator. The example below has the indicator 274 pixels in height.

Use the Low variability to control the vertical position. Max vertical offset should be the pixel height of the whole indicator; make it negative.
VerticalAnimation.png
Use High - Low variability to control the fill. Fill direction up.
FillAnimation.png

The "expression range" is the full PV range of values; in both animations.

When you get back, let us know how you got it working.

Here you have another method using bar graphs. I prefer this method because I don't need to think about pixels.

test_variability_graph.jpg

Attachments

• Variability graphic - Copy.pdf
    130.4 KB · Views: 12