How hard is it to learn other brands?

Giving the chance to start with Siemens: for me it is easy to use compared to A-B (which until now I am learning).

I admit that using STL programming is a lot easier compared to using LAD and FBD. Because in STL programming, you just type the program as long as you know and understand the logic,
I don't really agree with this statement. I would say it is a lot easier to program S7 that way, but not in general across all formats.
In RSLogix5000 as well as many others, You can just type programs in ladder in relatively the same fashion that you do in STL. It is just a matter of learning the mneumonics, which is the same thing you have to do to learn STL anyhow.
When I am doing code for example in RSLogix, even in ladder I rarely reach for the mouse.
And "just typing it in" doesn't necessarily mean your getting more work done per unit of time, because typing the same logic structure may simply require more effort to type. It all depends.

plus there are some commands that only STL programming can do (such as JCN)
Not true, you can perform conditional jumps in ladder just as well in most other PLC software, including Control Logix.

, while in FBD or LAD, if you're not aware of the "short-cut keys" you need to drag-drop every item.

Again, you can enter ladder in through the keyboard. You just need to remember the instructions. Which is the same thing you have to do in STL. So the only difference I see is with STL you are limited to only doing it one way.

While in A-B, components still needs to be configured in RSLinx (needs to have license), a different license for RSView32, RSLogix and other A-B software. Although I found A-B a bit easier to program (drag-drop). But what I don't like with it is the different licenses that you need to purchase and install for different software. Plus the technical support of A-B is not that much felt here *peace*.

We definitely agree on this. I can go on and on about the many things that tick me off about AB. But around here they rule the roost.

hmm... i have to say that if you are a beginner, its much easier to learn AB than other brands because you only focus on creating the logic and not really dwell on understanding the programming interface... the interface, especially for ladder, is very easy to understand and get a hang off in AB.

i am also trying to learn siemens and i do appreciate the FB's but it just takes so much more time trying to learn the program interface itself than what i think is necessary. i have no bias against Siemens or I am not saying AB is the greatest but from an engineering background (not IT =P), AB is easier to learn than the other brands. btw, i also have experience in Schneider and am currently learning CoDeSys. each have their own quirks but Siemens is the hardest climb so far =)

just my 0.02

...one thing you might want to do is contact your local siemens distrubitor. I dont know about your area but here in texas its AWC and these guys put on free ! day training. They even provide lunch!!. They have a great support network.

Same here in SC, they have one day classes all the time for the 1200 and others... I go to everyone that I can, the price is right and get to meet others in the field and its great to have contacts when you need them :)

I am lucky... I know how to program most of them, not very good but enough to get out of a jam when needed or to help out if I get a phone call

Just remember they ALL do the same exact thing.... inputs, logic, outputs.. they just get there a little faster (or slower)

Last edited:
Doing my first Siemens Step7 project at the moment, as an added bonus I've got to jump through the craziness that is indirect adressing in STL.
So the questions is, if the Siemens (and VIPA) hardware is a robust product with a large share of the worldwide market, is the there a market for a non-manufacturer programming environment that replicates the perceived usability of RSlogix 500 or 5000? I've looked at WinPLC7, but it's still a little bit too "German" for my likey. Are there other options out there?

The nature of the question in the 1st post, and the fact that Shoelesscraig hasn't bothered to come back and respond to the many posts, makes me think this is just an attempt at stirring up a flame-war.

what about other PLC types besides Siemens? I'm going to AB from Mitsubishi.

Having gone from Mits to Hitachi to Toyopuc to Omron to Fuji to AB to Siemens including Twido, Square D, Codesys and the lesser known brands.
'I would rather go from AB to Mits..
I still say that the AB is lacking a G.F.O button
Go EFFing On Line
My first siemens Project was an S7-300 CW Profibus analogues and Screen - took 2 weeks to program only
Replacing a Dead Square D PLC - (I had the program copy)

at a diferent location a second Square D was changed to an Omron - in 3 days including wiring.

Sorry to AB but at least most other brands are not charging phenominal additional costs after you pay for each software Item.

Give me Omron then Siemens or Mitsubishi

witch is better Ford, GM, BMW?( i can see the bashing now)
you still need to learn to drive!! over here we drive on the right across the pond they drive on the left. both methods get you where your going. you just need to know wich side of the pond your on else you will crash!!!

you still need to learn to drive!! over here we drive on the right across the pond they drive on the left. both methods get you where your going. you just need to know wich side of the pond your on else you will crash!!!
But some PLCs require that you know how to work on the engine before you can drive it over 20 kph

If you had ever seen the Car MFG ownership WEB they own eachother
Give me a Toyota - too many years of indoctrination

Sorry

lol, only the UK drives on the left, all the continental countries (including Germany) drive on the right

lol, only the UK drives on the left, all the continental countries (including Germany) drive on the right

Yeah, only UK.

I would put it back on you and say that its time for you to start using SI system and ditch those inches, miles, pounds, feet's etc.

Last edited: