How to define advertising

Strange that Timothy has been singled out here. We all have our favourite/most familiar brand(s). This, of course, leads to lively debate, subtle (and not so subtle) ribbing, and most importantly, generally excellent answers to questions about all of those brands. No problem there.

Many employees of manufacturers/distributors of many the various brands are also represented here, as well as ex employees of manufacturers/distributors who are now earning an honest living. Do not get upset any of you, I spent 25 years in sales, marketing and management myself. Have degrees in business and marketing management. Glad I am back in the electrical trade doing what I am doing. Working for myself I do not have to put up with social climbers, brown noses, back stabbers and the other sort. I now give all the reps and sales managers a hard time. FUN!!!

The manufacturers representatives are essential here due to their intimate/inside knowledge of their products. Many of them have identified themselves in this and other threads. I believe we all find their contributions invaluable. They have a lot of inside knowledge that is not generally available on the products they sell/represent. I will single out two contributors here, others please do not take offence. These two are purely taken as an example of what the maunufaturer/distributor representatives contribute to this site.

Jay Anthony has an incredible amount of resources, information and otherwise generally unavailable information about Omron as he works for them in the US. Believe me, he has information that is unavailable from the Omron office in Australia.

Stephen Luft is in a similar situation with Entertron.

Both of these guys, and many others, contribute an enormous amount to the forum. We would generally be lost without them.

I do not agree with blatent advertising here and fully agree with Phil's policy. Strangely enough it is not the manufacturers/distributors that generally push their products but enthusiastic users. Good and healthy as far as I am concerned.

By the way, have any of you seen the latest relaese from Omron of the CX-One software package?????? AWESOME!!!!!

Yes, I am enthusiastic too.

Last edited:
As an occassional poster and long time lurker to these superb forums I think that the current 'self moderation' of them is spot on.

If people post advertising bumf, or questions about how to rob software or help me with my exams cos I can't be bothered to help myself... they usually get ignored, or slated and then ignored.

I think someone who blatantly advertised would be doing their particular brand more harm than good.

Advertising is completely different from someone who is knowledgeable about a product extolling it's virtues.

In one way I'm lucky in that I usually use whatever system the customer prefers so I'm not affiliated in any way with one brand or another (this is obviously a double edged sword in some circumstances - when the customer spec's a system I'm not familiar with!! )

If I ask a question about what equipment I would need to do a particular job and someone recommends a manufacturer that they are affiliated to. As long as what they recommend fits the job and, in their opinion, is the best for the job, there's no problem.

Advertising is a bit like spam, in that if its unsolicited then it's bad and denegrates the very foundations of the forum. However, most posters on here are very open about where their loyalties lie and, as such, I don't see any problems.

I think the majority of people on here are far smarter than to fall for any kind of advertising that someone could throw in the mix.

Plus, we've all worked in the industry long enough to become suitably cynical, bitter and twisted... (at least I have!)

:)

More of a quick hello than anything....

....but just wanted to point out that the people using these forums are more savvy then the usual brand of...um, individuals...in the internet. Subsequently any blatent advertising will pretty much be seen for what it is.

I have been as guilty as anyone when it comes to boostering a manufacturer, or slamming another. But as an independent contractor, it is personal preferences, and past experiences.

Some individuals have their company websites listed on their profiles, many post disclaimers, some I've figured out, and a few I have PMed and asked. Some of the best resources that we have are these employees of manufacturers and distributors. Often, they provide great knowledge on other companies equipment, also.

While I think that it okay for members to promote their favorite brands, sometimes I wish that they would explain why. I have looked at some of the products and thought some were good, some not practical for my application, and some were mere toys.

Opinions, everyone has one. And they are all welcome here. We don't have to agree with them.

Advertising, out and out, does not need to be here. There is always the buy and sell section. For employment, the jobs section. Granted, there is occasionally "hints", but usually not blatant, or out of line.

BTW Tim, we value your opinions.

regards all.....casey

Last edited: