Is the MicroLogix 1400 really going away?

Little bit off with this topic, but if you have project that needs to be finished in near future than you should stay away from Ethernet/IP, EthernetCAT and Profinet and use plain and simple digital and analog IOs.
??
Can you elaborate on this.?
There are a lot of OEM systems fully depending on those comms.

Most producers outsource solutions for communication for their servos, VFDs and even PLCs with products like Anybus CompactCom or similair. ABB, Mitsubishi, AB, SE, Siemens, just to name few. For example you can order MR-J4-TM from Mitsu, but without gateway, so it is useless. If you need Ethernet/IP, EthernetCAT and Profinet you need to wait 300 days, due to chip shortages.

Last edited:
MicroLogix anything

KILL IT WITH FIRE

Those things have been Obsolete for at least 10 if not 15 years. the Fact that anyone used them in any new projects in the last decade is a crime.

Automation Direct Productivity or BRX are much more capable options, along with any low-end codesys PLC.

Little bit off with this topic, but if you have project that needs to be finished in near future than you should stay away from Ethernet/IP, EthernetCAT and Profinet and use plain and simple digital and analog IOs.
What are you talking about?

Why? Those protocols aren't going anywhere. I mean it would be better to use OPC-UA but Rockwell doesn't support it at the PLC level.

I am the OP that started this thread.

Since I was told the ML1400 was going away at the end of this year, the company I work for decided to proactively send letters to our customers advising them to stock up on ML1400 spare parts or consider upgrading their machines.

But before doing this, I sent an email to my Rockwell rep and distributor asking them for an official letter or email stating the ML1400 was going away at the end of this year as they told me face-to-face in our meeting.

This is the response I received from the Rockwell account manager:
"I have researched and asked around on this, and it is my understanding that the plan is to continue offering the MicroLogix 1400 through the year 2030 as previously intended. However, we are advising that you consider converting to the Micro800 family due to better product availability and lead times.

The controller that is being discontinued is the MicroLogix 1100, which is happening at the end of April. This might be where the confusion was."
So they just contradicted what they verbally told me less than one week ago!

So they just contradicted what they verbally told me less than one week ago!

Telling you something face-to-face is different than putting it in writing. If those individuals put it in writing without Rockwell's (the company) official backing then all heck would break out and that person would likely lose their job. Perhaps they were suggesting something to you that they cannot put in writing.

Or, maybe it really was a misunderstanding. When I worked for Rockwell, I had several instances of people telling me that I told their employee something about a product or software package that I know for certain I never said. I didn't think the other person was lying, I just think they misunderstood.

OG

MicroLogix anything

KILL IT WITH FIRE

Those things have been Obsolete for at least 10 if not 15 years. the Fact that anyone used them in any new projects in the last decade is a crime.

Automation Direct Productivity or BRX are much more capable options, along with any low-end codesys PLC.
The ML1400 still has it's place IMO. It's a swiss-army knife. Some models have a base with 6 HSCs (20 inputs total), something like 6 HSOs (of 12 digital outputs), along with talking both Ethernet/IP and Modbus TCP. The biggest thing though is that everyone and their uncle knows how to use one.

I agree though, AD is doing a great job slowly making the ML1400 obsolete.

Agree it was (is?) Still a very versatile PLC. This point was maybe more focused at the water industry, but it could also do DNP3. Was a great way to migrate legacy sites over to DNP3 whilst still keeping old serial CIP or Modbus comms working. Add one 4 channel analog card and you had plenty of IO for a basic pumping station.

I've also only had two failures in 10 years, across hundreds of sites running either 1100 or 1400.

If you had to work with 1000, 1200 or 1500 the lack of online edits would have been annoying, and maybe why some people are a bit biased.

RS500 is also still fast and responsive, unlike the bloatware that is Studio 5000.

I love my UDTs and AOIs / DFBs, but I reckon I'm still pretty fast at writing standard code and using excel to create my memory file documentation quickly and effectively in RS500.

I really do hope that they keep supporting and producing the 1400 for a while longer.

If somebody wanted to test out a low-end codesys PLC, what would you recommend?
Depends, do you want to just be able to try programming Codesys?

If all you want to do is play around with Codesys, just download the Standard version for free. You can run logic in simulation mode. If you want to play around with Ethernet Communications you'll need to run the full Windows Runtime (SoftPLC) in trial mode (have to restart it every 2 hours). make sure you install the windows runtime, when you install the development environment.

https://us.store.codesys.com/

Note I will be the first one to admin Codesys is not every intutive, but it is really powerful once you get the hang of it. It makes Studio 5000 look like a kids toy.

If you want to drive in, I have been using Wago PLCs, You can use there e!****pit (Branded and modified codesys) or you can use vanilla Codesys and purchase a run time from codesys for the Wago PFC100 or PFC200 PLCs. Keep in mind running vanilla codesys on a PLC involves more hoops to jump though than just using a manufactures flavor of Codesys.

The ML1400 still has it's place IMO. It's a swiss-army knife. Some models have a base with 6 HSCs (20 inputs total), something like 6 HSOs (of 12 digital outputs), along with talking both Ethernet/IP and Modbus TCP. The biggest thing though is that everyone and their uncle knows how to use one.

I agree though, AD is doing a great job slowly making the ML1400 obsolete.
Meh you can do all of that with Productivity's and they have lot more programming features, and a better programming UI.