"Looking for direction"

This is why the PLC doesn't care what the voltage is that its controlling...Just needs to choose the correct Input and Output cards. The PLC interfaces the input/output cards. Is my thinking correct ?
Just to be clear, the PLC does NOT have the ability to choose the correct Input and Output cards (not yet but it may eventually be an available option). You, the user, programmer, or designer, have to choose and install the correct I/O modules long before the PLC is used.

Thanks for your post Ron. Security is paramount with the program. Since, as you know, there was an attempt to be pirated already.

Omron can be password protected, in addition, to remove all local instruction without having comments, tags and identification.

I am open to Allen-Bradley but I do not know much of the features as with Omron. I will research Allen-Bradley Control Logix.

Security is the first main concern and why I have not outsourced the work any longer.

I would like to know what other forum members know and have experienced with this concern.

Security is the first main concern and why I have not outsourced the work any longer.
From many years experience, there are simply not very many PLC programs that cannot be created, designed, or reproduced by a competent programmer. Normally it is more efficient to spend your time creating and perfecting new programs and not worrying about someone else using your idea. If it is a good one, sooner (rather than later) someone will arrive at the same place with the same or very similar program. Remember that ideas are plentiful - everyone has a few, and having an idea is not the problem. The problem is figuring out how to use an idea, how to market it, how to get the idea to users that will pay money for it. Implementing and following through is the real key to profiting from an idea, not creating impregnable security. Put a damper on your paranoia.

Last edited:
5370 CompactLogix and Studio 5000 software – good or bad?

I was wondering if anyone has any input or advice about this PLC and software?

5370 Allen-Bradley controller and the Required Studio 5000 software

5370 CompactLogix and Studio 5000 software – good or bad?
IceKold, The CompactLogic controllers have some very advanced features. They would probably be a little expensive and have lots of features that you would never use in your HVAC PLC program. The one thing it doesn't have is input modules for 24 volts AC (which is what 99% of HVAC units need).

You could download the 5370 manual from this Rockwell Automation link:
http://search.rockwellautomation.co...&entqrm=0&ud=1&exclude_apps=1&site=literature

Have you looked at the Alerton brand of HVAC PLC controllers? They use the BACtalk and VisualLogic languages, and do have 24 VAC input and output modules.

http://www.alerton.com/s/Products/HVAC/BACtalk/Field Controller/VLCA-1688/8062

Here are the specifications for a typical Alerton HVAC controller - all 24 VAC! The reason I mention this type of HVAC controller is that most likely it will already perform the function that you are doing with your secret relay-logic device.
http://www.alerton.com/resources/?id=67986

Last edited: