Micrologix 1000

TimeFluxCap

Hi all

Ive got a Micrologix 1000 at home Im going to use for my reticulation system. My question is, can I use a standard serial lead to plug into it for comms to download from my pc. I have the round pin adapter but no Allen Bradley lead.
AB programming leads seem to cost a small fortune compared with standard computing leads, what is the difference? Im asking so I dont go and buy a serial lead I wont use for anything else and find it wont work anyway.

Thanks

TimeFluxCap said:
I have the round pin adapter but no Allen Bradley lead

What adapter????

Yes, you can make your own cable for a lot less $$$ than purchasing one... :nodi:

Here's the wiring...
[attachment]
Note that the 8-pin mini-DIN that's on the AB cable fits a LOT better than a standard one, though a standard one WILL fit. You can purchase the mini-DIN prewired on a cable, then put your own DB-9 on the other end. Word around here is that an Apple mini-DIN will fit as well.

beerchug

-Eric

1761-cbl-pm02.gif

Probably by "adapter" you mean the 1784-CP7 adapter that adapts from a 9-pin "Classic" PLC-5 DH+ plug to an 8-pin "Enhanced" PLC-5 DH+ plug.

http://www.ab.com/manuals/cn/1784229.pdf

[/b]It is NOT an RS-232 adapter for the MicroLogix.[\b]

The MicroLogix plug has a +24 VDC source on Pin 1 is provided to power handheld programmers and network adapters. This is the whole reason that the plug on the MicroLogix is incompatible with commonly available RS-232 plugs.... if it were, users by the thousands would fry their serial ports by plugging in the wrong cable.

That 1784-CP7 adapter connects Pin 1 on the round side to Pin 5 on the D-shell side. Shazam !

Compared to bulk serial cables, yeah, the 1761-CBL-PM02 is expensive. Compared to an expensive lesson in proper cable selection.....

Hi eric thanks for the help

The adapter Im talking about is the AB official part that converts the 9 pin D to the mini-DIN. Is the pin configuration for the 9 pin D AB different to that of a typical serial lead or is it a standard config? Just curious to know if the different makers have their own standards or if they work to a common standard.

Thanks mate!

You beat me to my reply Ken.

Ta for the info. Yep, your right with the adapter being for DH+, i used this one on SLC500s.

So if I used it on a rs232 lead I would have fried my serial port? Ouch! I almost didnt asked the question and assumed ( that expensive word) that I could. Thank goodness for this forum!

Being the holidays none of the big electronic dealers were open, and the little PC shops that were open didnt even know what I was talking about chasing a 8 pin mini din so I had to stop being a tight *** and shelled out for the real AB lead.

Don't feel bad, the "real" cables are still the best. I've bought a few of them myself, including a more expensive, though I don't know why, 2707-NC8 (straight mini-DIN) for those times when some bozo didn't leave enough room on the left side of a ML1000... :rolleyes:

I need these cables a lot, as I put an external DB-9 connection port on all my panels. I just hate shelling out US$50 for a cable I can make in 10 minutes with less then $15 worth of components... :oops:

beerchug

-Eric

Hey Eric, where did you pull the drawing on the cable from the AB website. Im looking for one for the 2711-NC13 the straight through type DB9 to DB9. Cant find it myself but Im sure its there somewhere.

[RANT]
The 2711-NC13 is one cable you DON'T need to buy from A-B!
I haven't a clue how can they justify nearly UD$90 for a straight-wired cable???

[/RANT]

In the future, you can download any of the manuals you might need by leaving off the the end of the link Ron gave...

Just go to http://www.ab.com/manuals/

beerchug

-Eric

not true

Unless you have actually tried to make a PM02 compatible cable
yourself you should not make claims how easy it is!
The problem is that the standard 8 pin DIN in-line circular connector
has an outer shell that's mechanically incompatible with the
Micrologix connector, this much has been said.
I have tried to duplicate the PM02 cable by doctoring up the standard
8 pin DIN connector outer shell. It's not easy, in fact I could not
get it to the point where it would be acceptable. Sure you can force it on, but do you wanna do that? I think not.
If there is anybody who has actually produced a working duplicate of
this cable I would like to hear how it was done??
Don't tell us what you think might work, tell us what works.
I agree that that the cable is quite expensive and coming up with a
functional equivalent cable would be definitely a big plus.

Re: not true

Jiri Toman said:
Unless you have actually tried to make a PM02 compatible cable
yourself you should not make claims how easy it is!
The problem is that the standard 8 pin DIN in-line circular connector
has an outer shell that's mechanically incompatible with the
Micrologix connector, this much has been said.
I have tried to duplicate the PM02 cable by doctoring up the standard
8 pin DIN connector outer shell. It's not easy, in fact I could not
get it to the point where it would be acceptable. Sure you can force it on, but do you wanna do that? I think not.
If there is anybody who has actually produced a working duplicate of
this cable I would like to hear how it was done??
Don't tell us what you think might work, tell us what works.
I agree that that the cable is quite expensive and coming up with a
functional equivalent cable would be definitely a big plus.

Since this seems to be mainly directed to me, I'll respond...

I have made quite a few of these "inferior" cables over the years with no ill effects. Yes, you do have to force them a bit to fit, but they WILL fit. If you'll notice, I said that the cables I make are used to remotely locate the programming port to the outside of the panel, so they only need to be plugged in ONCE, and remain connected indefinitely. Therefore, I'm not worried about damage from repeated use. If you're going to be constantly plugging/unplugging the cable, spring for the PM02...

If you're looking to duplicate the PM02 with a cable that fits perfectly for less $$$, you can buy THIS CABLE for US$16 from Automation Direct and replace the other end with a DB-9 connector.

Important note!... These cables from A-D are not fully populated!
There are only 3 conductors which are connected to TXD(7), RXD(4), and GND(2) at the mini-DIN end... đź““

beerchug

-Eric