Micrologix 1400 input wiring

Noob_MW

Hi Everybody just wondering if anybody would have a wiring diagram for the inputs for a Micrologix 1400, is it just take the 24Vdc + from the plc and link it into all the COM0 COM1 COM2 COM3 any help would be appreciated

Thanks

I believe you would connect the 24VDC- and connect it to the COM terminals, not the +. You might want to look into the wattage that the 24V supply will withstand, I typically use an external 24V supply.

Figure out precisely which model of MicroLogix 1400 controller you have, because the part number describes which voltage and mix of I/O the controller has onboard.

Print out the 1766-IN001 installation instructions document, Pages 20, 21, and 22.

Pay careful attention to the color coding and groups shown in those wiring diagrams and called out in the terminal grouping tables.

The MicroLogix 1400 has multiple Common terminals to allow you to isolate groups of input and output circuits from one another. Sometimes that's for circuit speed reasons (like for the embedded high-speed inputs), or for voltage mixes (like with relay outputs) or to allow some outputs to be supplied by power from an e-stop relay, and some to be supplied from non-interrupted power.

In general, MicroLogix 1400 DC inputs are "sinking" types: you connect DC Common (0V DC) to the appropriate COMx terminal, then use a sensor or switch to apply +24V DC to the desired Input terminal.

I thought all DC input 1400's could be wired source or sink depending on the polarity of the common and the input of each group of inputs, so you could have one group sink inputs and another group source?

I thought all DC input 1400's could be wired source or sink depending on the polarity of the common and the input of each group of inputs, so you could have one group sink inputs and another group source?

I believe this is the case, you can wire each group of inputs tied to each common separately so you can mix and match sinking and sourcing.

Thank you for that correction, and you are of course right: the MicroLogix 1400 discrete I/O can be wired, group-by-group, either for sinking or sourcing.

The MicroLogix 1400 User Manual, publication 1766-UM001, goes into further detail and examples in Chapter 3.

Figure out precisely which model of MicroLogix 1400 controller you have, because the part number describes which voltage and mix of I/O the controller has onboard.

Print out the 1766-IN001 installation instructions document, Pages *0, *1, and **.

Pay careful attention to the color coding and groups shown in those wiring diagrams and called out in the terminal grouping tables.

The MicroLogix 1400 has multiple Common terminals to allow you to isolate groups of input and output circuits from one another. Sometimes that's for circuit speed reasons (like for the embedded high-speed inputs), or for voltage mixes (like with relay outputs) or to allow some outputs to be supplied by power from an e-stop relay, and some to be supplied from non-interrupted power.

In general, MicroLogix 1400 DC inputs are "sinking" types: you connect DC Common (0V DC) to the appropriate COMx terminal, then use a sensor or switch to apply +*4V DC to the desired Input terminal.

Thank you Ken, Much appreciated:geek: