Mimic panel

I believe you said in another topic area that you're using Mitusbishi PLCs. The easiest interfaces are the FGOT (Mitsubishi) and (my favorite) the E-series from Beijer (go to http://www.e-terminals.com ). Your PLC supplier will know this.

But, as has been stated, there are many other suppliers of OITs (or HMIs, OIs, etc.) that have drivers written for many PLCs.

... rab

I appreciate all the advice guys, I think I will go with the HMI it sounds like the better option. If I need to interface with the current plc program I will have to get in a plc engineer because we dont even have the facilities to run the software on a pc. I have the program on disc but thats not much help. I will aslo contact a local HMI dealer hopefully they can point me in the right direction and provide the support I know I will need.

I will post another mail when all this is done to let you know if I still have a job or a pay rise.

Attached is a somewhat of a guide to HMI/SCADA development do's/don’ts, you’ll get a good grasp of how the graphics and information should be displayed. I always have the equipment operator onboard during some phases of HMI development, they have the "real-world" view of the equipment, the more easier you can make their job, the more easier yours will be.
Let us know how it works out...

Last edited:
Nowadays everybody yells with HMI, however these cost money and need to be programmed, so your choice of mimic is a good one,
yes you can put a light or a LED(with a resistor of 2.2 kiloohm) parallel to each input and output. as long as it is 24 Volt.
with relais outputs it is more complicated as they can have any voltage and AC/DC
No programming involved and works always, even when plc is down.

I'm going to pitch my tent in the HMI side. More flexible and a lot less labor and wiring. We have HMIs from Maple Systems here, and the programming was very easy and they have been reliable. The links left by Adam303 are very good. One thing that bears mentioning is that up to eight percent of men and around one percent of women are color blind. This varies somewhat by nationality, but needs to be accounted for in HMI design. Most common is red-green...the colors we commonly used for 'Stopped' and 'Running. The Wikipedia article under "color blindness" is quite detailed. See the section "Design implications of color blindness".

dont forget it is 11 years old, so yes in those days mimics were common, and still today i make them as the cost for some simple HMI can be too high.