"My Kingdom for a Horse!" What have you been stuck without?

Flew to Valdez Alaska for startup on a SCADA system for the Alyeska Pipeline plant vapor recovery and power generation system. Sq. D Symax PLCs, the system shipped without the special network terminating resistor and the way those were arranged, you couldn't rig up a substitute without having access to a good supply of electronic components, but there was not even a Radio Shack in that town. Had to have it flown into Anchirage, but the part would arrive after the last cargo flight to Valdez. So I had to take "Wilbur's Airlines" a 6 seater Cessna, to Anchorage to pick it up. On the way, the pilot took a dive bomb run INTO the crack of a glacier for the other passenger. I tossed my cookies. After I got back, the pipeline people were shocked that I got back so soon because it had been too late for the regular commercial flights. When I told them I had taken Wilbur's, they when white in the face. Apparently Wilbur used to have 2 planes, but his brother cradled one into a glacier! Alyeska forbade employees from using Wilbur's...

Side note, when I was there was the week in which the Exxon Valdez was taking on the oil it ultimately spilled in Prince Wlliam Sound. I had taken a pic of it at the terminal, just because I thought it was odd that the tanker was named for the town. I sold the pic to a news agency for $1k, but they insisted on having the negative and all rights to it.

This is awesome! for a number of reasons to me personally.
You may be interested to know 1) that the some of those Sq.D's are still running strong to this day 2) even though there is now a Radio Shack in Valdez, it is still just as hard to get a part to this remote part of the world 3) you have clearly dated yourself!

This is awesome! for a number of reasons to me personally.
You may be interested to know 1) that the some of those Sq.D's are still running strong to this day 2) even though there is now a Radio Shack in Valdez, it is still just as hard to get a part to this remote part of the world 3) you have clearly dated yourself!
Wow, that's amazing! Symax wasn't pretty, but it was rugged, if nothing else, I'll give them that. Still, parts must be hard to get now, I'm surprised they haven't replaced them. But then again, I'm not surprised... they were penny pinchers to be sure.

Radio Shack ...o_O
I once went in to one in the middle of nowhere (Adelanto, Ca, LITERALLY the middle of nowhere) to get an RC snubber to put on a 480V contactor coil that was wrecking havoc on my system, or at least the parts to make one. They had no idea what I wanted and had almost nothing I could use, and what they had I was forced to buy way more of than I needed. I had to string together about a dozen little resistors in series to be useful, and the caps, fugedaboudit... I only needed it to last long enough for me to prove I was right about the cause, and I was. I told the user to order and install a REAL surge suppressor for that contactor, but I'll bet they never did.

That was 10+ years ago and maybe that rig-up of mine is still there too, still working!

Last edited: