New activation key for new major revision of software? Really?

ckchew666

Hi,

I came across a thread somewhere mentioned that, we need a new activation key if there is an upgrade in the major revision of the software? For example, if i'm using version 4 RSLogix 500 activation key, it won't work with RSLogix 500 version 6.00. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Regards,
CK Chew

I can't say for sure about jumping right from V4 to V6 (I'd bet it wouldn't matter) I've had the same activation installed for about 2 years. RSLogix5 and 500 have progressed from 4.5 to 6 and I am still using the same activation.

I have had the same activation for RSLogix5000 from V2.xx to V11 and also no problems there.

All versions of an RSI software product use the same key file. I've had the same activation key for RSLogix 500 since version 2.1 and I use it for Version 6.

The only time I can think of a product key not working with a new Version is when you have a Beta key; those don't work on released software.

Just a rumor

There was a RUMOR going around a few years ago that Rockwell was planning on implementing a tight key-to-revision strategy.

Many people complained that this would make on-line upgrades (for those with $ervi¢e agreements) impossible, which would mean fewer service agreeents for Rockwell, as well as an added expense of sending out new key disks with each revision.

Some bean counter must have figured out that the guarenteed loss-of-revenue would exceed the potential increase in revenue generated by preventing some folk from upgrading their software on someone else's support, because it's never been implemented.

It was more than a rumor. I received a bona fide, type-up piece of paper on Rockwell header stating this same revision/new key thing. We tend to be a little behind the curve on new software here so I think I got this when we upgraded from Logix500 4.X to 5.0. We are still at 5.0 so I never knew if they went forward with this. Apparently not.

Keith

Oh, that. Yeah, I got that same "this is the last revision that will use this key" thing with 5.50, but Version 6 came out with the same copy protection as always.

There is a change coming in the future (probably in 2004), allowing more flexible and durable keying using a text file key that is encoded to run only on the PC for which it is activated. No more hidden files or mystery formats on Keydisks, just a text file.

I don't know if RSI is going to run both schemes concurrently, or if they are going to switch cold turkey.

Ken Roach said:
Oh, that. Yeah, I got that same "this is the last revision that will use this key" thing with 5.50, but Version 6 came out with the same copy protection as always.

There is a change coming in the future (probably in 2004), allowing more flexible and durable keying using a text file key that is encoded to run only on the PC for which it is activated. No more hidden files or mystery formats on Keydisks, just a text file.

I don't know if RSI is going to run both schemes concurrently, or if they are going to switch cold turkey.

Does that mean there is no more Floppy diskette when we purchase a new copy of RSI?

In that case it doens't serve the purpose of privacy protection, as the current floppy diskette can be duplicated using a software available from web if not mistaken.

I have an old activation key of the Logix 500. It works with the Logix 500 version 6.0, but only on a FAT16 partition. It doesn't work on a FAT32 or NTFS partition.

rgua said:
I have an old activation key of the Logix 500. It works with the Logix 500 version 6.0, but only on a FAT16 partition. It doesn't work on a FAT32 or NTFS partition.

Interesting, how old is ur key?

My precedent post wasn't correct. The activation was of 1997. It isn't the activation which doesn't work, but the EMOVE program of that floppy disk. Using EMOVE32 provided with RSLogix 6.00 the activation key works also on FAT32 and NTFS.

I was installing upgrade after upgrade every time one was available
so its from version 3 to 6 which is current. Couple of times I've
seen warning to backup and then install activation etc. which
I always ignored. Everything is working fine (and always was).