Panelview 1000 lost app while powered down

I have a PV1000, circa 2002, that was powered down for about two weeks. When I powered it back up, it had error 1110 "No Valid Application".

My equipment mfg said I should replace it because they cannot communicate with the unit in order to reinstall the application. I am not yet convinced that I have a bricked unit and I cannot find a reason as to why powering it down would result in an unusable state.

I am leaning toward the OEM reps just not having the know-how or correct software to re-establish comms and d/l my app.

Any suggestions?
What version of software would I need to d/l my app from? I have one or two Panelbuilder or similar software editions around that I can use. My app is on a floppy disk.

specs:
PV1000
model 2711-K10C1L1
ser D, Rev A, FW 4.20
24vdc, communicates with PLC-5/40C on DH+
also has an RS232 port
no flash card

Thanks!

First of all I know very little about the PV1000. I did look at setting up a new project in PanelBuilder32 version 3-80 and the nearest panel match I could find is a model 2711-K10C1 (without the L1) that listed RIO as the protocol. The DH+ unit has the last two numbers C8.
Perhaps you are connected with a Scanner module to the plc. If you want to connect to the RS232 port it uses DF1 protocol. I am guessing very long here but I believe you could connect to an older computer with PanelBuilder32 on it using a standard RS232 cable or one using a null modem inserted. From there you should be able to open the app on floppy disk into the PanelBuilder software and then download it to your dead unit. Good luck and I hope I have helped in some way. I'm sure someone else with more experience will jump in here to help and correct my guesses.

Can you get to the Configuration menu ? If not, you might have to replace the terminal.

The terminal might be damaged. In general, PanelView Standard terminals store their applications in nonvolatile flash memory and it will remain resident indefinitely. I've powered up terminals that have been on the shelf for more than five years and found good applications in them.

You can probably use any modern (3.8x) edition of PanelBuilder32 to download a *.PVA file via DH+ or RS-232. PanelBuilder32 doesn't have a very good firmware/software support history publicly available, so if you can install version 3.82 or 3.83 that would be sure to cover your version 4.20 terminal.

Remember that the RS-232 cable between your PC and the PanelView needs to be a straight-through cable, not a 1747-CP3 or 1756-CP3 null-modem style cable.

I've also found that CompactFlash cards under 2 GB, formatted for FAT mode, work well in PCMCIA adapters.

Kent Hostetler,

do you have the pv1000 application file?
if not, contact the oem for the file.

i have had this happen during power up before.
i had to power the unit down and wait a minute berore powering back up again.

you would need panelbuilder32 software.
the last version is 3.83.01.

you will need to contact your local rep for cable info and what version to load. the cd has several versions.

regards,
james

Thanks for pointing that out; the network option 1 was RIO, and the network option 8 is DH+. It would be easy to confuse the two if it's connected to a PLC-5.

I don't have any RIO units handy to check to see if the RIO Rack Number can be set from the configuration menu. My guess is that it's in the application file itself.

Either way, the serial port or the flash card are far easier to use to download the application.

If you can, zip and post the application file. Maybe there are some clues in it to establish comm's.

Perhaps you are connected with a Scanner module to the plc.

My mistake. They look the same...RIO it is.

Can you get to the Configuration menu ? If not, you might have to replace the terminal.

The terminal might be damaged.

I've also found that CompactFlash cards under 2 GB, formatted for FAT mode, work well in PCMCIA adapters.

I can get to the config and all other menus. I am looking for my PB32 software since I don't have it on my current laptop - haven't needed it in a decade!

do you have the pv1000 application file?
if not, contact the oem for the file.

Yep, I have the file on a floppy disk.

Thanks to all for the help. I will try to load my file onto a CF and install from there first as soon as I can find my software.

Kent

Remember that there are two different PanelView Standard files.

PanelBuilder32 Application (*.PBA) can be opened and edited by PanelBuilder32 software and include the entire project. They cannot be loaded directly onto the terminal.

PanelView Application (*.PVA) files can be loaded directly onto the terminal. Most of the time they can also be opened by PanelBuilder32 and converted into Projects, but in limited circumstances* they cannot.

*Some old PanelView 550 Series A terminals and terminals for which the OEM protection feature was set, or terminals where some project data had to be stripped from the project to fit it within the PanelView memory. This is uncommon.