PanelView Component C600 Question

dahoneycutt

Hello,
I am using a PVc C600 to monitor and alarm inputs to my AB MicroLogix 1400 PLC. The PVc does a great job monitoring the PLC (slot 0) inputs, but refuses to monitor the expansion slot inputs. I have set the TAG addresses just as I did on the PLC routine but it just doesn't work. Any ideas as to what I might be missing?
Thanks in advance for your help,
David

I'm using a Panelview C600 with a ML1400 and 2 expansion modules (1 relay output and 1 combination analog in/out) and I have had no problems with it. I read the analog signal in to the PV and control the relay and analog signal output from the PV. I don't know why you would have any trouble with a digital input module. Are your inputs in a subroutine that isn't being scanned? Can you see where the inputs sit in the input image table? :confused:

You could trying taking an image of the inputs into an Integer file and see if you coul then see them

What does the address look like in the PV
Examples
I:0.0/6
I:2/4
I:0.4 Analog
I:1.3

PVc C600 Question

Here are the screen shots from PanelView C600 configuration. Please let me know if you see anything that I am doing wrong or could do better.....

Note:
TAGs 0001 - 0010 and 0013 - 0022 work properly. 0011, 0012, and 0023 - 0033 do not work.
Thank you,
David

Alarms.jpg Communications.jpg TAGs1.jpg TAGs3.jpg

Difficult to read the tags clearly but I think on tag 11 and maybe others you have used the alphabetic letter O when you needed to use the number 0
O 0 look very similar

When you look at the ML1400 I/O Configuration do you see the expansion modules? Are the expansion modules input LED's on when the input is true?

When you look at the ML1400 I/O Configuration do you see the expansion modules? Are the expansion modules input LED's on when the input is true?

Yes, the Expansion Modules are functionning in the PLC routine as programmed. Everything works properly except that the PVc just does not see those inputs.

Thanks,
David

See ab tech note 67770 (techconnect required).

It describes how to figure out the word offset you need for the input and output expansion modules.

You need to open the output data table and count the word offset to the expansion module. If your output card appears as the sixth module, then you will access bit zero with "O:6.0/0" for example, even though it may appear as "O:2.0/0" in RSLogix500.

See ab tech note 67770 (techconnect required).

It describes how to figure out the word offset you need for the input and output expansion modules.

You need to open the output data table and count the word offset to the expansion module. If your output card appears as the sixth module, then you will access bit zero with "O:6.0/0" for example, even though it may appear as "O:2.0/0" in RSLogix500.

Thanks a million. I do not have techconnect, but I will find it somewhere. I have programmed RSLogix as:

O:4/6 where the 4 refers to slot 4 and the 6 is the particular output. So, from your example, would I need to re-address the I/O in RSLogix or just in the PV Tags?
Thanks again,
David

Thanks a million. I do not have techconnect, but I will find it somewhere. I have programmed RSLogix as:

O:4/6 where the 4 refers to slot 4 and the 6 is the particular output. So, from your example, would I need to re-address the I/O in RSLogix or just in the PV Tags?
Thanks again,
David
just in the PV Tags...

Post a screenshot of the Input and Output data tables and I can explain it from that image.

Crop the image as narrow as reasonable and post it as a jpg.

I am on the road, without access to RSLogix or I would give and example.

From my understanding of the technote, you simply count rows (words) after word I:0.0 until you get to your expansion card, and program the PVC with that number instead of the value which is used in RSLogix500. So, O:4.0/x might become O:6.0/x but only in the Panelview, NOT in the Micrologix or RSLogix500...

The technote gave two examples with different word offsets. I, having never used the 1400, don't know if that is because there are different base models with different onboard I/O count, or if it's a digital vs. analog base unit that makes the difference.

IIRC the 2nd example they gave had a word address of I:9.0

I think its a $hame that a/b thinks that information should not be available to everyone...hopefully it is (somewhere) in one or more of their manuals already.

And on a sidenote, it is my practice, and I am sure others would agree: it is a good practice to never address real I/O with an HMI. It will always be beneficial to be able to remap it...on the fly...without interrupting the HMI. It will make your code constructs more portable, give you the chance to optimize communication efficiency, and get around weird problems like this one, but the main reason is trust. I never want to control I/O directly with anything but the PLC which is quite trustworthy and not subject to driver flaws and comms losses. In my opinion, it is always better to map them in the PLC, bit by bit to internal addresses that fall in line with your existing communications design for the HMI data.

Continuous blocks of data on each HMI screen are your friend.

Last edited:
just in the PV Tags...

Post a screenshot of the Input and Output data tables and I can explain it from that image.

Crop the image as narrow as reasonable and post it as a jpg.

I am on the road, without access to RSLogix or I would give and example.

From my understanding of the technote, you simply count rows (words) after word I:0.0 until you get to your expansion card, and program the PVC with that number instead of the value which is used in RSLogix500. So, O:4.0/x might become O:6.0/x but only in the Panelview, NOT in the Micrologix or RSLogix500...

The technote gave two examples with different word offsets. I, having never used the 1400, don't know if that is because there are different base models with different onboard I/O count, or if it's a digital vs. analog base unit that makes the difference.

IIRC the 2nd example they gave had a word address of I:9.0

I think its a $hame that a/b thinks that information should not be available to everyone...hopefully it is (somewhere) in one or more of their manuals already.

And on a sidenote, it is my practice, and I am sure others would agree: it is a good practice to never address real I/O with an HMI. It will always be beneficial to be able to remap it...on the fly...without interrupting the HMI. It will make your code constructs more portable, give you the chance to optimize communication efficiency, and get around weird problems like this one, but the main reason is trust. I never want to control I/O directly with anything but the PLC which is quite trustworthy and not subject to driver flaws and comms losses. In my opinion, it is always better to map them in the PLC, bit by bit to internal addresses that fall in line with your existing communications design for the HMI data.

Continuous blocks of data on each HMI screen are your friend.

Thanks again and again for the information. I was able to find a copy of the Technote and found it to directly address my problem. However, in their example, there seems to be an inconsistancy in the way they count the rows. It appears that they count I:0.0 in one example and not in the other example. I do not have the Technote in front of me right now, so I cannot give you specifics of what I saw, but maybe you could take another look to see if I am mistaken. I can post specifics tomorrow. Likewise, I will post the data tables tomorrow.

David

Thanks again and again for the information. I was able to find a copy of the Technote and found it to directly address my problem. However, in their example, there seems to be an inconsistancy in the way they count the rows. It appears that they count I:0.0 in one example and not in the other example. I do not have the Technote in front of me right now, so I cannot give you specifics of what I saw, but maybe you could take another look to see if I am mistaken. I can post specifics tomorrow. Likewise, I will post the data tables tomorrow.

David
Thank you very much as I have been able to get the PVc reading the input data file using the hex addresses. However, I am still confused about how to count the Input table to arrive at the proper Word Offset. By my understanding of the Technote, the offset should have been 9, but that did not work. So, I used 8 and it works perfectly. HELP! I am pulling my hair out trying to understand. I am posting screen shots of the Input data table and the configuration table.
Thanks again,
David

Input Data.jpg IO Config.jpg

What's this picture worth:

I think their technote comment about switching the radix to hex is distracting, and has nothing to do with how to count words in the list.

I think the 'problem' lies in the fact that the base unit is like a smart card in a SLC. It can have a variety of different sizes, depending on which model you buy, but apparently this is an illusion generated by RSLogix500, and/or perhaps the comms driver in the Micrologix does not respond to comms inquiries in the same format shown in RSLogix500. Or, speculating further, maybe the driver in the Panelview does some bad translation when creating the requests.

I still prefer mapping to internal memory and using that in the HMI, but here is how I understand the technote:

David_Input_Data_000.jpg

Last edited:
I think their technote comment about switching the radix to hex is distracting, and has nothing to do with how to count words in the list.

I think the 'problem' lies in the fact that the base unit is like a smart card in a SLC. It can have a variety of different sizes, depending on which model you buy, but apparently this is an illusion generated by RSLogix500, and/or perhaps the comms driver in the Micrologix does not respond to comms inquiries in the same format shown in RSLogix500. Or, speculating further, maybe the driver in the Panelview does some bad translation when creating the requests.

I still prefer mapping to internal memory and using that in the HMI, but here is how I understand the technote:

Could you tell me a little more about mapping to internal memory?

Thanks,
David

Could you tell me a little more about mapping to internal memory?

Thanks,
David

what he means by that is have all of your digital inputs tied directly into a coil that is used in the various places in the program where you would need the input.

then do the same with the outputs, but you would have the coil that is used in place of the output coil as a contact that is tied to the actual output coil

for instance, the digital input would look like this, and you would use the input 1 in place of the I:0:1 in the program

I:0:1_______ input 1
[]------------()

for the output:
Output 1_____ O:0:1
[]------------()
same thing, you would use the output 1 in the program instead of the actual IO address.

The input and output would be whatever address you define, for instance B50:1/1