PCS7/WinCC and CP1613

I have a customer running PCS7 V5.0 on Windows 2000. They are looking to replace several of their computers. For the majority of the equipment we have simply loaded Windows 2000 within a virtual machine and all is well.

However, we have 4 servers (2 redundant pairs) and 2 standalone WinCC machines which have CP1613's installed because there are 3 S7-417h PLC's in the system. Virtual machine is good at passing through a generic TCP/IP adapter, but we have not been able to successfully configure a CP1613 in the host operating system and pass through the connection to the virtual machine.

Has anyone run across this before and come up with a solution?

The customer will be doing a PCS7 upgrade within a a year or two, but until then they need a solution from a maintenance perspective.

Any ideas or solutions are welcome.

Your a brave soul.

The CP1613 must be used for redundant WinCC/H connections. Also Redconnect is the software for this. I dont know anyone thats even thought about trying it on a VM ;)

Don't forget you will also need serial comm connection for sync between Red Server PC's. As said before...brave sole. Bite the bullet and upgrade with appropriate OS support.

V6 & V7 are so much better.