PLC vs Data Logger

This trade mag covers the kind of instrumentation for this app
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/uploads/Test_&_Measurement_magazine.gif
(for some reason the graphic doesn't appear in the post ? ? ? The graphic img statement gets changed during preview or submit . . .)

Test & Measurement World is the leading publication for engineers involved in electronics test, measurement, and inspection. It provides practical content and industry updates for engineers and engineering managers worldwide. Subscribers receive special issues covering the Annual Buyers Guide, Annual Best in Test and Product of the Year.

http://www.reed4success.com/default.asp?magid=045&promocode=WHA01NE2

Last edited:
With the Red Lion unit we were doing some testing yesterday and it we set up the Data Logging with an Event Trigger, and had that flip ON/OFF via a SLC. We were able to log values 10 readings per second, or one every 100mSec. This was much faster than the standard rate of 1 a second. This was the fastest we could get it to write the data.

Joe_WaZoo

Look at the NI CompactRIO. High-speed data acquisition AND analysis INTEGRATED into your machine controls.

Not cheap. We are considering one CompactRIO unit to analyze six load cell signal waveform profiles on-the-fly in a production machine. The machine currently uses PLCs to make simple pass/fail determination of peak force levels. The CompactRIO would replace the PLC.

Complete hardware and LabView software for our application was quoted at about $16K US. It is a true bargain in my book because it can evaluate each of the six load cell waveforms, compare them against predefined defect indications, render pass/fail determination, store failing profiles, generate statistical plots, etc. It can also accept digital inputs/outputs and be configured to analyze differently for different product profiles. I see CompactRIO as a high performance PLC. This will of course require training and perhaps paid assistance to get you started. Check it out:

http://www.ni.com/swf/presentation/us/pac/

I have a great deal of experience with a laptop-based external data analyzer unit from another vendor. Great product, but it is not embedded into the machine. As I said earlier, we have not purchased the NI CompactRIO yet, but I did get to use one at a recent NI seminar and it was very impressive. Defintely the way to go for high-speed!

CeCo3

Go check out National Instrument like CeCo3 is talking about. He's on track with the kinds of statements he's making about waveforms etc. and the price range is probably about where that kind of DAQ instrumentation is.

I suspect that Red Lion is in the industrial data acquisition range, like Joe Wazoo, says, 100mS/point, maybe some piece is good to 10mS, but that's a far cry from 1uS..

Yes, my first link was a magazine cover. It was supposed to be an uploaded graphic image that showed up in the post, but for some unknown reason it shows up as a link, as I noted earlier. THe lower link points you to a trade magazine that covers the kinds of data acquisition gear you'll need, so you can find some vendors of high speed DAQ gear.

Dan W

I found with DSpace the DS2004 board that is able to read analog input up to 1MHz and DS1103, single board, 4 analog inputs, 16 bit, convertion time 800ns.

I also checked NI - Compact RIO and I think it matches my needs.

Thanks guys!