Possibly the shortest program in the world

I'd like to make a claim for the shortest program that actually does anything useful, i.e. controlling real-world outputs, in a real-world scenario.

Here's the only code in the controller.

If anyone would like to make a guess at the application I use this as a demo for, feel free....

2016-11-05_181920.jpg

I'd like to make a claim for the shortest program that actually does anything useful, i.e. controlling real-world outputs, in a real-world scenario.

Here's the only code in the controller.

If anyone would like to make a guess at the application I use this as a demo for, feel free....
Seeing the data array would be helpful, but I'm guessing it's to make the output LEDs light up in a chase pattern on a Micrologix 1100 or similar. Hopefully not a relay output model...

daba, lol. I would need to verify it with diff screen shot showing the whole project & name, date.

Well the date would be today, as I just entered it to show....

This is the whole project, I named it "Daba_Test", so that's not gonna help.

Just remember I use it as a demo for a very popular "test" question for PLC programmers, as it often opens students' eyes to what is possible.

I'll give one more screenshot that might help the understanding....

You'll see it is the only code container, and an insight to how it is configured..

2016-11-06_013008.jpg

Seeing the data array would be helpful, but I'm guessing it's to make the output LEDs light up in a chase pattern on a Micrologix 1100 or similar. Hopefully not a relay output model...

Good thinking about the frequency of relay outputs.... No it's not a Micrologix, it's Logix5000, and see my previous post will hopefully allay your fears on output switching speed.

Good call on switching lights in some sort of "chase" pattern though...

The data array might give it away too soon, let's see if someone gets it before I disclose....

The only time I've ever used the SQO function was in the classroom. For a traffic light program. Masking 6 outputs (NS Green, NS Yellow, NS Red, EW Green, EW Yellow, EW Red), triggered by a periodic task and you have your traffic light solution.

Last edited:
The only time I've ever used the SQO function was in the classroom. For a traffic light program. Masking 6 outputs (NS Green, NS Yellow, NS Red, EW Green, EW Yellow, EW Red), triggered by a period task and you have your traffic light solution.

You win hands down- it is indeed a traffic-light "program", a very simple one as you suggest, and again a classroom example.

Did you pick up on the periodic task icon, or was it a guess ?

Did you pick up on the periodic task icon, or was it a guess ?

Not a guess at all. You need something to trigger the instruction at a pace understandable to humans. To do that without additional logic requires it.

The only time I've ever used the SQO function was in the classroom. For a traffic light program. Masking 6 outputs (NS Green, NS Yellow, NS Red, EW Green, EW Yellow, EW Red), triggered by a periodic task and you have your traffic light solution.

I have used this "example" in another "scenario". I once had a couple of training delegates from the Royal Navy, and I used the same minimalist example to signal "less is more" in morse code. Shame it didn't work because neither of them could actually read morse code !!