Problem in PLC system

Osama Badr

I'm working in :-
Al Nada Flour Mills Company
Egypt
* The problem description :-
The PLC is working normally , but suddenly stop.
Why ?
We don't know
Then it may be recovered itself how and why?
We don't know

* System details :-
Wonderware intouch8
CPU 22-02HC
Hitachi H252C

What's the suitable solution of this problem ?

I'm feeling generous,

You've not given much information here. More than likely normal troubleshooting required.

Did the PLC stop running, fault, loose power, stay in run mode but stop the process?

Has it happened again?

What have you done so far?

My system details as available :-
* System details :-
Wonderware intouch8
CPU 22-02HC
Hitachi H252C
10 Input modules :- POM-RBW .
12 Output modules :- PIM-DGH .
4 Output modules :- PIH-DM .
1 Output modules :- PIM-DGW .
3 power modules :- PSM2-A2 .
1 analog module :- Actana-S1 for Hitachi plc .

The problem
stay in run mode but stop sensing/responding of a new actions as switching on or off

I exchanged the connection cable , no more .
I'm waiting for you suggestions/opinions
Thanks

I'm not familiar with the PLC you're using but do you have the programming software for this PLC? You really need that before you can do any detailed troubleshooting.

I would assume the Hitachi PLC would have some form of "last error" register you can check.

Does Intouch lose comms to the PLC? Check the error log using the System Management Console for Intouch.

I would also suggest that your client starts planning for a PC and Wonderware upgrade. Windows XP is now unsupported and Intouch V8 is VERY old.

normally this may happen in case of dusty environment and loosing of cards.so first power off then blower the plc and check loosing of cards and wiring

normally this may happen in case of dusty environment and loosing of cards.so first power off then blower the plc and check loosing of cards and wiring

I would never blow in a cabinet... I had a guy do that a few years ago and it took days to change the 50+ bad (no bad) contactors, most we had to take apart and clean by hand then reinstall, you can use a vacuum but I would never blow

Any LED's indicating faults?

Erorr lamp is OFF in CPU module
IMG_20160721_215017

I would consider looking for a local PLC distributor and/or systems integrator that can come in and help diagnosis your problem. The problem is that you are looking for a simply answer to a complicated system and you’re not going to find it. We’d love help but you need to provide technical details that you aren’t going to be able to provide (no offence). More than likely you are going to need to get into the PLC via programming software and see what it’s doing and/or not doing and that is going to involve a level of technical expertise that comes with training and experience.

^^^ What he said ^^^

General troubleshooting is not suited for the forum environment, especially if you are unable to narrow down the problem. You need a warm body there with the proper equipment to fix the issue.

General troubleshooting is not suited for the forum environment...

But what the hell lets try anyway :)

How about a stop input or button? Sounds like there is a good chance its just a stop in the program... this is where Harryting's point is true, we could WAG and 1k of stop reasons, overload/heater set to auto reset, timer in the PLC, short in wire, limit switch, etc

If you have any electrical drawings you can look at the inputs and do some basic troubleshooting if you know how the machine works, other then that give someone a call

Trouble shooting complex systems

30% UNDERSTANDING
30% FAMILIARITY
30% INTUITION
10% OUTRIGHT DUMB LUCK

Or depending on the situation in your case
3% UNDERSTANDING
3% FAMILIARITY
3% INTUITION
91% BEGINNERS LUCK

Don't laugh seen it happen.

Is the PLC halting or are you losing the connection with the PLC from the HMI?
In other words does the process keep running and you just can't see what is happening from the HMI?

Is the PLC halting or are you losing the connection with the PLC from the HMI?
In other words does the process keep running and you just can't see what is happening from the HMI?

PLC is running but the problem is losing the connection with the PLC from the HMI
so i can't run or stop any machine
i.e
when you run the machine nothing occur
when you stop machine nothing occur

no action in run/stop case

Last edited: