Replacing Controllogix PLC

nehpets

Hi all,

Being a bit of a noobie with regards to the hardware side of controllogix, I'm after some guidence with the upgrade and replacement of a controller.

Currently we are running a 1756-L61 (2Meg) processor on V16.04, I have now filled the memory to the extent that one or two of the routines (structured text files) are too large to make online changes, I have cut them down to smaller routines, but it's now getting to the stage that the programming structure is becoming messy.

My enquiry is, would I be correct in thinking a 1756-L81 (3Meg) or preferably a 1756-L82 (5Meg) Processor should be a replacement for the 1756-L61.

If not could anyone point me in the right direction as to the correct processor to purchase.

There is no motion requirement.

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
Yes, an L81 would be the logical replacement, but you'll have to upgrade to a later version of Logix Designer. As always, there is a huge list of caveats. Rockwell has a publishing detailing all of the things to watch out for when doing the conversion.

Hi all,

Being a bit of a noobie with regards to the hardware side of controllogix, I'm after some guidence with the upgrade and replacement of a controller.

Currently we are running a 1756-L61 (2Meg) processor on V16.04, I have now filled the memory to the extent that one or two of the routines (structured text files) are too large to make online changes, I have cut them down to smaller routines, but it's now getting to the stage that the programming structure is becoming messy.

My enquiry is, would I be correct in thinking a 1756-L81 (3Meg) or preferably a 1756-L82 (5Meg) Processor should be a replacement for the 1756-L61.

If not could anyone point me in the right direction as to the correct processor to purchase.

There is no motion requirement.

Thanks
Steve

If all you want is more memory, and not looking to upgrade for any other reason, an L62 has twice the memory of an L61.

L63 has 8MB, and L64 has 16MB.

And they are available quite cheaply on fleaBay ...

No need to upgrade your current software either ...

Thanks for that,
Unfortunately this is a multinational company and does not/will not buy from the likes of Ebay (Tracability etc.).

My thinking was that as the L6x range is now obsolete it would be an ideal time to 'get up to date'.

The software is not really an issue I have Studio5000 to V30.

Steve

The L8x series is nice, but expensive. Consider getting a 1756-L72 or L73 instead. Like the L6x series, you get double the memory for each step up (72 is 4MB and L73 is 8MB).

It is a very easy upgrade as long as you weren't using the RS-232 port on the L61. Chances are, if you needed Ethernet you already had an Ethernet module so the built-in Ethernet on the L8x wouldn't have been required.

Plus if you go with v21 or newer, you get the documentation in the controller. The L7x is supported starting with v19.

OG

Thanks all,

Just got to convince them to part with the money, I did look at the L7x range but found that the L8x appeared only a couple of hundred bucks more expensive which on the larger scale of things is peanuts.

So It will boil down to how much the money men will realease.

Again Thanks
Steve

I believe the L8x series is significantly faster when it comes to instruction and scan times so if you may want to review the code that is sensitive to being executed faster.

nehpets,

what other hardware have you got on the PLC?
You may have to upgrade other cards to a new firmware version to match the L8X series, less so with the L7X series.

Always worth a check before you go and spend the cash....